EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dometic fridge ammonia leak  (Read 997 times)

X-Treme

• ---
    • Robin's Automotive
Re: Dometic fridge ammonia leak
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Just a quick question here, as my 6 year old Dometic unit just developed a leak as well. Luckily, I have extended warranty, and the dealer will be replacing the cooling unit with a NEW one, direct from Dometic (or so they tell me, anyway).

My question is this....

Normally, I fire the fridge up in the spring, and leave it running all summer, until I winterize my unit in the fall. Would I be better off only running the fridge when we actually need it, and leaving the condiments, frozen items, etc. in my spare fridge? Like, do these units have an x number of hour lifespan? Lets just use the number 1000 hours for arguments sake. If I only run the fridge when we're actually using the unit, my 1000 hours will last 12 years, vs. 1000 hours only lasting 6 years due to the fridge running 24/7 for 4 - 5 months, as we operate now.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
2011 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD
Home: Sherwood Park (Edmonton), Alberta, Canada

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
I don't think there's a known answer to that question.  There may be a measurable lifespan, but with so many components involved it's hard to say exactly what that might be.  Climate exposure and hot-cold cycles year after year may be just as big of a factor as # of hours the unit is run.

Many of us keep our fridges plugged in / cooled constantly, even when not in use.  I generally only unplug mine during winterized months, if it needs to be defrosted, or if I know we won't be using it for more than a month or so.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

missoj

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
Hi
Did the ammonia leak into your camper like it did mine. Dometic has denied the fact the ammonia can come into the camper. The fridge has two huge holes around the tabs where you screw it to the cabinet and also you can see daylight from outside showing under the bottom of the fridge. I sent them pictures and I plan to get a fog machine and put in the back access and film it coming in the camper. I plan to send that video to the attorney general in order to hopefully get a world wide recall on this problem. I am not the only one that could have died from this leak. A family on here also could have died had their dog not awakened them and got them out of the camper. It has been over two months and you can still smell ammonia in the camper. I had the fridge removed immediately and for a month and a half you could not get within 20 feet of it and that was in the open air. I just had it put back in the camper so I could prove to the company that there is a defect in the manufacture of their fridge and the ammonia can come int the camper and kill you. They said the fact the cabinet was sealed would prevent the ammonia from coming in. The cabinet is sealed in the corners from top to bottom and all around the top and bottom of the cabinet. But that is not where it comes in. It comes in from below the bottom of the fridge and through the mounting holes at the top of the fridge behind the panel that has the on off buttons and such. I am warning every one if you have a dometic fridge in your camper pull the bottom metal plate and the control panel up top and you will clearly see where outside air can and will enter the camper. I had my ac on which circulates the inside air. It sucked the ammonia right in the camper while I was sleeping. My fingernails, hair and throat are still suffering from the effects of the 99.98% pure ammonia. Household ammonia is 10% and breathing it can cause problems so imagine what this will do to you if this happens to you like it did me the other family and God only knows how many other people. Please help by contacting the attorney general in Indiana and make a complaint when you find these open places where the ammonia can come in because if it develops a leak count your blessings if you live through it.

X-Treme

• ---
    • Robin's Automotive
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
No. The only time the inside of my RV smelled of ammonia is when I opened the fridge or freezer. And when I did do this, once closed, with my Fantastic Fan running, the smell was gone within less than an hour. Mine may also be a different model than yours.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
2011 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD
Home: Sherwood Park (Edmonton), Alberta, Canada

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
Except for Defrost cycles my Dometic has been on constantly for about a decade now. 
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network