Hotspot and WiFi as WAN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I have used a USB modem in a router in the stick house for quite a while. I have the router in a lamp timer to turn it off at night and back on in the morning. That way if the internet drops out for any reason, everything will reset when it turns back on. 

The question is that I had to replace the USB modem I was using (Data Jack) as it quite functioning. Data Jack does not use them anymore, they have went to a Hotspot instead.  I picked one up from Verizon, an Ellipse Jet Pack and use it with my router with the router set to use the "WiFi as WAN" function.  I tested it and it works well. 

Since the Hotspot doesn't hook into the router, will it turn off and on if it too is hooked to the timer? There is a power button on the Hotspot, but I don't know if it just powers down when the timer turns off, if it will come back on when power is applied. Does anyone use one like that? 

Or do I just leave it plugged in and hope for the best?

The Verizon Jet Packs that I've owned all had batteries and the power cord was actually a charger (just like a phone). Disconnecting external power does not turn those off - only the power button can do that.

Gary Ex-RVer said:
The Verizon Jet Packs that I've owned all had batteries and the power cord was actually a charger (just like a phone). Disconnecting external power does not turn those off - only the power button can do that.
...until the battery runs down, typically 3-6 hrs.  If your concern is resetting if the Internet drops out, I have a Verizon Ellipse Jet Pack that I use in my RV.  I just leave it on, even while moving.  Certainly, the Internet drops out due to lost signal frequently and I've never had to reset it to the best of my recollection.

SargeW said:
I have used a USB modem in a router in the stick house for quite a while. I have the router in a lamp timer to turn it off at night and back on in the morning. That way if the internet drops out for any reason, everything will reset when it turns back on. 

The question is that I had to replace the USB modem I was using (Data Jack) as it quite functioning. Data Jack does not use them anymore, they have went to a Hotspot instead.  I picked one up from Verizon, an Ellipse Jet Pack and use it with my router with the router set to use the "WiFi as WAN" function.  I tested it and it works well. 

Since the Hotspot doesn't hook into the router, will it turn off and on if it too is hooked to the timer? There is a power button on the Hotspot, but I don't know if it just powers down when the timer turns off, if it will come back on when power is applied. Does anyone use one like that? 

Or do I just leave it plugged in and hope for the best?

I don't know if it is true but I've been told by the computer geeks that the highest stress seen by modern electronics is during the transition from OFF to ON; so we just leave the "modem" and the "router" ON all the time.  Evidently, once they get to their operating temperature, they just run and run but the cycle from "cold" to "hot" creates the highest thermal stress.

I don't know if it is true but I've been told by the computer geeks that the highest stress seen by modern electronics is during the transition from OFF to ON;

As long as you don't get into overheating, that's generally true with solid state electronics. But overheating can be as bad or worse...

We have two Verizon Jetpacks that haven't been powered off in at least a month. They're both set up as fail over sources for our routers that normally use our AT&T services.

Thanks all. I tested it by hooking both up to the timer. The router shut off, but the hot spot didn't, just like Gary said. When it turned back on, the Hot Spot wasn't affected, but the router didn't reestablish a connection with the Jet Pack.  So, as suggested I will leave both plugged in and hot while I am gone.  I know that the Jet Pack will "sleep" with no activity sensed, but the router should stay active.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom