Landing gear and slide not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mom 23 boys

After having stored my fifth wheel over the winter I went to put the batteries back in and bring my fifth wheel home and I couldn't get the landing gear to work or the slide.  I figured it might be the batteries so I hooked up my plug in power and still it didn't work.  There does appear to be power to other parts of the trailer.... the radio lit up.  The trailer is a 2004 Travelaire (Canadian) fifth wheel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Mom who is trying to get out camping with her boys :)

Mom 23 boys said:
After having stored my fifth wheel over the winter I went to put the batteries back in and bring my fifth wheel home and I couldn't get the landing gear to work or the slide.  I figured it might be the batteries so I hooked up my plug in power and still it didn't work.  There does appear to be power to other parts of the trailer.... the radio lit up.  The trailer is a 2004 Travelaire (Canadian) fifth wheel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Mom who is trying to get out camping with her boys :)

Are you sure you connected all the wires at the battery?

I did check the battery connection again and it seemed good.  I also hooked the power cord up to my generator and tried it with this power and still nothing.

BIG JOE said:
And.. check to be sure the Master Cut Off Switch is ON (If equipped) ??

I tried turning it off and then on again....several times and nothing changed :(

Having done all of those things, I'm thinking a blown fuse or breaker. Can you try to locate either of those items and check them?
Bob

prfcdoc said:
Having done all of those things, I'm thinking a blown fuse or breaker. Can you try to locate either of those items and check them?
Bob

I will take a look when I go back out to where it's stored.  I couldn't bring it in to town...couldn't figure out how to get the legs up.  I was reading a bit and there is mention of an "inline" fuse??? to the motor.  I did take a look by the motor on  the landing gear and there looks to be a box looking attachment to the wires.  Would this fuse be connected for both the slide and the landing gear??

There has to be a way to manually retract them both. If you look at the drivers side of the landing gear, up near the top, There should be a hole where you'd put a special wrench to raise or lower them in case of a electrical problem like you have. On mine, I have to open up the door for the propane tank and it's right there.
There also has to be a way to retract  the slide. 
Contact the manufacturer for specifics or the dealer you purchased it from.

Thank you!  There is an opening on the side to manually put them up.  I will have to try and find the tool to raise them up.  Thanks so much everyone.

On our camper, the slides and leveling system will not work on shore power alone. It requires a fully functional battery as well. Did you check the battery?

Jimdamedic said:
On our camper, the slides and leveling system will not work on shore power alone. It requires a fully functional battery as well. Did you check the battery?

Very True.

You might try disconnecting the RV battery and using Jumper Cables from your Tow Vehicle.. give that a try ?

As Stated..If the RV battery is DEAD, or doesn't have [at Least a marginal charge level] ANY functions that pull a heavy load.. won't work properly.. or at all.

Sounds to me like the RV battery has died/shorted.. to a NO charge/Dead level.

Might be time for a new RV battery ?

Typically the slides and landing gear have their own direct power from the battery. My guess is that you either blew the inline fuse for that feed(s) or did not get them re-connected to the battery. May take some hunting to find it, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom