Do I need a pressure regulator when filling the RV water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1976Jessie

Please help settle an argument... The dealer when purchasing our RV stated to my husband we MUST use a pressure regulator, I was not part of this conversation (or remember it anyway) so I do not know the details or what was said. It seems to me that some logic or common sense would state that when filling the holding tank, since the hose isn't a sealed attachment, a regulator wouldn't be necessary. My husband swears that we will void our warranty and shouldn't take the risk but then also complains that it takes too long to fill the tank. I have yet to locate an article specific to this topic, most discuss the city water connection but never specify if it's needed or not needed for tank filling. Any advise will be happily received!

I suppose you're talking about water, rather than propane? Propane does require a regulator (which should be supplied with the RV). A pressure regulator is not normally REQUIRED for water, but is generally a good idea when hooked to unknown water sources, since too much pressure can cause damage in the RV. But as to warranty, I'd think they can't say it's required unless it's in writing in the warranty conditions. Of course lawyers might see it differently, but...

With the on board water tank it is normally filled to full or somewhat less,  on mine you do not screw the hose to it so when it is full by hose the excess just runs over.  I use to run a pressure regulator to the pressure water system but found that it was impossible to get enough pressure to my RO Membrane to make the RO work. 

So I have been camping the past several years and do not use it.  I am not sure what damage the RV water system could sustain as the water pipe and fittings are essentially the same as I have in my home and we run 60 - 70 psi all the time.  PEX pipe systems will take over 100 psi with no problems. 

When the water tank is full, it just dumps into the overflow on our tank so the pressure doesn't matter.

JackL said:
No, I would be a waste of money

Jack L

Reading your post, it sounds like you're talking about filling the tank through the gravity fill port. If that's the case, then I agree with Jack. No need for a regulator. Now some RV water tanks can be filled by just opening a valve within the RV water system while hooked up to shore power. In those cases Yes, you need a regulator to protect the sealed water system. Some campground pressure can be quite high so in those cases, you'll need one. I always use mine. Do not buy one of the small regulators that are straight and 1 1/2" in diameter. Get a adjustable one like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=valterra+rv+water+regulator&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=178571322463&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6473714640596451633&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058676&hvtargid=kwd-262082464302&ref=pd_sl_1dhxevsvs2_e

I've had three of the Valtera adjustable water regulators. All three failed, started leaking water. Valtera replaced two, but would not replace the third. For me at $50 it's too much money to take a fourth chance on, so I bought a cheap 40-50 psi flow through and it has work as advertised for two years, restricts the flow to 40-50 psi. I occasionally check it with a pressure gauge and it's always within range.

Agree with the others - there is no pressure concern when filling via the gravity fill port.

The dealer is blowing smoke at you. Your warranty isn't void if you don't use a regulator and there is nothing in the warranty that says so.  Like any water system, including the one in your home, it was designed and tested for some max system pressure, at least 80 psi in late model Rvs (the current RVIA test spec).  Most RV manufacturers now use 100 psi for testing.  If you knowingly exceeded that max pressure the manufacturer could claim "abuse" and deny coverage, but it would be very hard to show evidence of that if it did happen. Few home or campground water systems ever reach that pressure or even close to it, but a regulator would guarantee it. For that reason, a regulator is a Good Thing to use, but it is by no means "required". Typical water supplies operate at 40-65 psi and the onboard water pump in your RV is probably set to 45 psi. However, in rare instances the water supply may have pressures as high as 100 psi.

A lot of this regulator stuff comes from old RV lore. Back in the day RV water systems were only tested to 55-60 psi and damage from over-pressure was not all that unusual. The RVIA has since increased their specification for design and pressure testing to 80 psi, making that a very low-level concern. High pressure is mostly a worry in mountain areas where the supply may be high above the point of use and thus generates a lot of pressure.

Back
Top Bottom