Making music in Wyoming (hopefully)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Six years ago I bought a ukulele as a compact & convenient instrument to take along in the coach. It didn't take long to grow into a 'collection' of ukuleles, banjos and guitars, requiring some choices when we leave home.

This trip I packed the 8-string uke (aka taropatch uke), banjo uke, and the 'baby Taylor' 3/4 size guitar; The latter takes up a lot less space than my full size Taylor. Together with all the fishing gear I brought along, I had to be creative in where I packed/hid stuff to stay on my DW's good side. No space for a keyboard.

Arrived at the lot in WY last Friday, but haven't spent time making music, thanks to fixing a few issues on the coach and getting the lot cleaned up and set up for the season. Hope to hook up with other musicians later this week or next.

Getting requests from folks who wish to play (or learn to play) ukulele and /or sing along.

Always glad to share what I can, but that's not much beyond basic/simple stuff. The hope is that folks will be inspired to play/sing and to seek further learning.

Maybe you can teach us to play bagpipes some time  ???

Now that we're back at our summer retreat in WY, it's time to revive the desire of folks to form a musical group. Started talking with folks yesterday. Set up a (simple) web site as a contact point and printed some flyers.

This morning, Chris was driving to the grocery store and couldn't resist following some garage sale signs. She came home saying that someone was selling a keyboard (Casio) and stand. I'm a Yamaha guy, but it's easy to adapt to Casio's layout, and a keyboard is a keyboard. So I snapped it up as an additional instrument for the group.

A week ago I put a message in the park newsletter asking for folks wishing to play with our newly formed group. Laurie and Bob Lynch, a ukulele-playing couple here for a week, called and asked if they could join us. Today we were able to get together on our patio for several hours, and had a blast. Several neighbors stopped by to listen (nobody threw eggs or tomatoes).

Attachments

• StarValley4.jpg
    StarValley4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 17
Looks like my note in the park newsletter and on park message boards might be getting some traction; Today I received a call from a visiting group of GS members (here for a week) who want to jam. I have "the barn" reserved for Sunday PM. I managed to get a copy of the guitar player's song list, so I can print lead sheets.

The guitar player is used to jamming at Quartzsite.

Aye it is Jackie. I need 'lead sheets' (showing lyrics and chords) to be able to play, whereas this guitar player plays by ear. My ears tell me if a played chord is correct or not, and they tell me when a chord change is coming, but I have no idea what the next chord is unless it's printed on a lead sheet or music score.

I tried music in my teenage years but unfortunately was not very adept. I did like the piano and had an electric organ which was play by numbers I think, but even then I was no expert. The main thing is to enjoy it even if you are not perfect. Sounds like you really love it. Enjoy your jamming, I think k will need to call you Bob (Marley) ?

Jackie, here's my 'music career':

When I was a kid, I'd knock on a friend's door and ask "is Johnnie coming out to play". The mother would say "no, he's practicing piano all day today". Those were the guys who turned out to be the Elton John's.

My first week at grammar school, I singed up for music and was given a violin. After a few "screech, screeches", I was told to "take it back and never bring it home again". That was the end of my music education, and I signed up for French or woodworking.

Back in the 90's I joined a barbershop chorus. I could sing the songs by ear, but was frustrated by guys who could pick up a music score and sing the right notes. I bought myself a keyboard, bought CDs, and took keyboard lessons. My buddy, who used to play in the NY Symphony and sang, tried helping me. But I could never correlate a note on a music score with what (accurately) came out of my mouth.

Fast track to 2011 or so....

I joined a ukulele band but, after 4 weeks, was ready to give up. My Scottish-born friend, on vacation in Maui with some common friends, emailed me a photo saying "I was thinking of you". I pleaded with him to buy a uke and come home to teach me. The following week, my doorbell rang and my friend was standing there with a uke. 10 minutes later he had me strumming (chords on) the uke.

I brought my friend into the uke band as our Music Director, and haven't looked back.

My friend learned the uke by watching you tube and he is doing pretty well. His dad could play guitar, uke, mandolin, self taught too.

My instruments were flute and bassoon,  I didn't have enough wind ???.

Had an interesting jam session in the large barn at SVRR today. The group of GS members showed up (one playing guitar, one singing, and several listening/clapping). A (good) guitar player from the park also showed up, and I played uke.

Their idea of jamming is to go around the room and play/sing solo, whereas I was expecting to play together. But it worked out with four soloists.

Attachments

• Jam2017-0903.jpg
    Jam2017-0903.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 15
Jamming has never been playing on your own in my experience...... as long as everyone enjoyed it.

Agreed Jackie, we normally think of it as "open mic' ".

Ah um ah......could I bring my guitar hero? :)

Back
Top Bottom