Mt. Rushmore from Toledo OH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corky

Hi Y'all
We're heading out to Mt. Rushmore on 06/22/17 and am looking for suggestion on where to stay.
I know that there are many good places, and a lot of things to see, as I was raised on a dairy farm in Rapid City. But it's been 40 years since my last visit.

Thanks
Corky

Hi Corky. You probably already have plans, but if it's been 40 years since your last visit, you are going to be shocked at how much Rapid has grown. I grew up there also in about your same time frame. If I were you and you are bringing a toad, I would take the highway 16 bypass south right as you're coming into town. Then take 79 south toward Custer. There are campgrounds along that road, like The Heartland, and you could use the jeep to travel the hills. Deadwood has been renovated in recent years and Keystone and Hill City are great stops. Hope you have plenty of time. I was in SD this spring but stayed in Pierre at the Corps campgrounds below the dam, which are extremely nice. I prefer campground #3, but the other ones are nice too. I prefer to go up I-35 to I-90 from I-80 to avoid ongoing construction on I-29 in the cities. Safe and happy travels to you guys.

We stayed a night in the Badlands National Park, a beautiful location.  I believe you will need to reserve ahead. I would recommend a visit to the Minuteman Missile Monument/Museum while in the area as well as the Launch facility (guided tour) and glass covered missile silo (self guided with cell phone). Very interesting and informative.

Thanks for the info, it all helps.
We are headed out in the morning (if I can resolve wiring problem for the toad) and am ready for a break.

The dairy farm that my uncle owned is now where The Elks is at. Quite a contrast from the basement house that I lived in as a toddler in the '50's.

Corky

Got back two weeks ago and going back at end of July. There are camp grounds all over the place with a somewhat wide variety of prices.  Allstays is an app for you cell phone and it will show all the campgrounds inn the area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom