Door Hinge Issue on 1974 Terry Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need help deciding how to address our door hinge issue.  Over time where the metal tubes that form the door hinge meet and have friction, it has worn down and makes the door sit lower and leaves a gap at the top that water can get in.  I would like to replace the hinge but I can't find a replacement hinge like this original one that serve both the screen door and the trailer door.  Is there an improved version of this sort of hinge to replace it with?  Pics for details.

We have already re-framed the door when we redid the inside to prevent any more siding cracks above the door, we will likely have to bondo putty those cracks and sand down before we repaint or find some other solution.  There is currently no water getting into the trailer.  It made it through a VERY snowy winter perfectly as well as some wind driven rain storms, but I am trying to prevent any future problems because we had to rebuild the back 1/4 of our floor/subfloor due to rot around this door in the beginning of our remodel.  We fixed the roof issues and reframed that entire corner as well.  When we did the initial remodel and had the door off we ran out of time to address the hinge replacement as we had to get it functional again to head to county fair with our kids so our kids could show their livestock.  We love this trailer, and have gotten so much enjoyment out of the challenge of redoing it so we want to make sure she is good and tight for future years of enjoyment.  We will be starting on the process of painting the exterior soon and addressing minor things on the exterior this hinge being the first on the list.

Attachments

• door hinge.jpg
    door hinge.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 21
  • myrtle interior collage.jpg
    myrtle interior collage.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 14
I've fixed a door with a similar problem by propping it up to the right height and filling the gaps in the hinge with stacks of e-clips that snapped onto the center dowel.  But my hinge wasn't as badly worn as yours, it's edges wore flat instead of having the curled edges you show in the picture.

Open up the end of the hinge so you can slide the dowel out.  You may be able to do this if you take the rain cap above the door off, but you'll probably have to remove the door and frame from the wall.  Cut the worn edges of the hinge back so they have square edges, then use pieces of tubing or stacks of flat washers to fill the gaps on the load bearing side and restore the door to the right height in the frame.

Back
Top Bottom