Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Suggestions on sealing roof - Winnebago Chieftain 27  (Read 281 times)

jbraumberger

Suggestions on sealing roof - Winnebago Chieftain 27
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
Just bought a 86 Chieftain with a aluminum roof (see pics). Looking for advice on whether to seal the roof or not. It's in great condition and would like keep it that way.

Thanks for any input.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Suggestions on sealing roof - Winnebago Chieftain 27
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Welcome aboard!  That's a nice looking roof, somebody went to a bunch of trouble and expense to make that happen (as far as I know Winnie never put aluminum on a roof.) What I would do is to remove the current sealant used on the roof (around any through the roof hole, seam, etc.) and reseal with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

That is an old and inefficient roof AC unit. Junk it and install a new efficient roof air like the low profile Coleman-Mach models (and they most likely weigh less.) PPL Motorhomes has probably the best price on RV parts anywhere so check them out for major parts. Amazon should carry Dicor so try them as well.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
I agree with John. That is a very impressive looking roof with a very unimpressive A/C sitting on top of it.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

jbraumberger

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
Welcome aboard!  That's a nice looking roof, somebody went to a bunch of trouble and expense to make that happen (as far as I know Winnie never put aluminum on a roof.) What I would do is to remove the current sealant used on the roof (around any through the roof hole, seam, etc.) and reseal with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

That is an old and inefficient roof AC unit. Junk it and install a new efficient roof air like the low profile Coleman-Mach models (and they most likely weigh less.) PPL Motorhomes has probably the best price on RV parts anywhere so check them out for major parts. Amazon should carry Dicor so try them as well.

Sorry the ac unit will have to stay for now, don't use ac that much anyhow. How's this one https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6141935245.html look (you've got me thinking now, but the CFO might not like it).  I'll order some of the sealant today.

jbraumberger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
Would you suggest sealing around the vent fans (2)? Doesn't look like that has been done. Trying to get an idea of how much sealant I'll need.

Thanks!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »
Sorry the ac unit will have to stay for now, don't use ac that much anyhow. How's this one https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6141935245.html look (you've got me thinking now, but the CFO might not like it).  I'll order some of the sealant today.
You can buy a brand new unit for about $575, the guy selling that one on CL is dreaming, I wouldn't pay over $150 for it.

Would you suggest sealing around the vent fans (2)? Doesn't look like that has been done. Trying to get an idea of how much sealant I'll need.
Yes, reseal (or seal) any penetration of the roof! I would buy six tubes of Dicor, if you have some left carry it with you. I always carry several tubes of assorted sealants with me in the coach.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »

Winne did use aluminum for roofing in the 80s, seen many of them. I had an 80 Itasca many years ago and it had the one piece aluminum roof, problem was mine had many pin holes that developed. I had to patch the holes and then coated the roof with cool seal. I gave it two good coats and it worked and looked real good. I had the coach for 3 years and it looked almost as good the day I sold it, as it did when I coated it.

I wouldn't coat that roof with anything as long as it doesn't have any holes in it. Seal around the openings and where the caps meet, and be done with it.

From the looks of that coach it lead a sheltered life. Great looking coach.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:00:02 PM by Charlie 5320 »
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
I had no idea Winnebago used aluminum on roofs, thanks for the FYI. I had aluminum water tanks on our last sailboat  (40' Hughes Northstar) and they had a bunch of holes in them when we bought the boat, it was 10 years old.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Hosted by Over The Network