Suggestions on sealing roof - Winnebago Chieftain 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbraumberger

Just bought a 86 Chieftain with a aluminum roof (see pics). Looking for advice on whether to seal the roof or not. It's in great condition and would like keep it that way.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG9514741.jpg
    IMG9514741.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG9514771.jpg
    IMG9514771.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 23
Welcome aboard!  That's a nice looking roof, somebody went to a bunch of trouble and expense to make that happen (as far as I know Winnie never put aluminum on a roof.) What I would do is to remove the current sealant used on the roof (around any through the roof hole, seam, etc.) and reseal with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

That is an old and inefficient roof AC unit. Junk it and install a new efficient roof air like the low profile Coleman-Mach models (and they most likely weigh less.) PPL Motorhomes has probably the best price on RV parts anywhere so check them out for major parts. Amazon should carry Dicor so try them as well.

John Canfield said:
Welcome aboard!  That's a nice looking roof, somebody went to a bunch of trouble and expense to make that happen (as far as I know Winnie never put aluminum on a roof.) What I would do is to remove the current sealant used on the roof (around any through the roof hole, seam, etc.) and reseal with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

That is an old and inefficient roof AC unit. Junk it and install a new efficient roof air like the low profile Coleman-Mach models (and they most likely weigh less.) PPL Motorhomes has probably the best price on RV parts anywhere so check them out for major parts. Amazon should carry Dicor so try them as well.

Sorry the ac unit will have to stay for now, don't use ac that much anyhow. How's this one https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6141935245.html look (you've got me thinking now, but the CFO might not like it).  I'll order some of the sealant today.

Would you suggest sealing around the vent fans (2)? Doesn't look like that has been done. Trying to get an idea of how much sealant I'll need.

Thanks!

jbraumberger said:
Sorry the ac unit will have to stay for now, don't use ac that much anyhow. How's this one https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6141935245.html look (you've got me thinking now, but the CFO might not like it).  I'll order some of the sealant today.
You can buy a brand new unit for about $575, the guy selling that one on CL is dreaming, I wouldn't pay over $150 for it.

jbraumberger said:
Would you suggest sealing around the vent fans (2)? Doesn't look like that has been done. Trying to get an idea of how much sealant I'll need.
Yes, reseal (or seal) any penetration of the roof! I would buy six tubes of Dicor, if you have some left carry it with you. I always carry several tubes of assorted sealants with me in the coach.

John Canfield said:

Winne did use aluminum for roofing in the 80s, seen many of them. I had an 80 Itasca many years ago and it had the one piece aluminum roof, problem was mine had many pin holes that developed. I had to patch the holes and then coated the roof with cool seal. I gave it two good coats and it worked and looked real good. I had the coach for 3 years and it looked almost as good the day I sold it, as it did when I coated it.

I wouldn't coat that roof with anything as long as it doesn't have any holes in it. Seal around the openings and where the caps meet, and be done with it.

From the looks of that coach it lead a sheltered life. Great looking coach.

I had no idea Winnebago used aluminum on roofs, thanks for the FYI. I had aluminum water tanks on our last sailboat  (40' Hughes Northstar) and they had a bunch of holes in them when we bought the boat, it was 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom