Adding a second AC unit to prewired RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DickHutchings

I may or may not do this but is it possible to add the second one and have the ability to choose which one is on. I live in a CG with 30A service so I can't run them together.

Years ago I had a Dutch Star that had only one AC and it had 30 amp service.

I added a second AC unit positioned using the rooftop vent in the kitchen.

I ran the electric supply romex cable down the refer vent into a storage bin.

To use the second unit I simply plugged into a second dedicated supply at a second outlet at the campsite, usually a 15 amp next to the 30 amp outlet.

The second AC unit had its own set of controls in the overhead part of the AC unit.

Using this method I did use both AC units at the same time because the second AC was the only thing on the 15 amp circuit.

I hope that answers your question.

Edit:

I thought I would add a few more comments.

The 14 X 14 common size roof vent will accept most all roof mounted AC units.

The non ducted or maybe I should say the ones that blow down directly into the room have the controls mounted on them and do not interface with your thermostat.  Therefore you can use either or both at the same time.

Good Luck.

I did it 2 years ago. The front vent was prewired for 110 Volt AC. That's our bedroom. I purchased an AC that did not require attaching to existing AC ventilation duct. It also had it's own controls for the thermostat. Very simple to do. It does take 2 people. The hardest part was getting it onto the roof. I used a extension ladder as a guide and a rope to pull it up the ladder. That was my SIL's job. I did the guiding. Once it was on the roof, it was just a matter of installing the foam gasket on the bottom then lowering it into the hole.

8Muddypaws said:
Your SIL must be a strong woman.  Mine won't even go up a ladder.  :)

SIL = Son-In-Law.
But I have got one (sister in law)whot could probably be able to lift it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm going to add one. My wife's concern is that if I install it myself that I may void the warranty.

Suggest a low profile unit.  I have a fifth wheel that is 11'5" - roof level.  Adding the second AC added another 10 inches. 

Ron

I am almost finished with my 83 Holiday Rambler remodel. I do have a second AC in the back. But it only seems to run on the generator. I was wondering if anybody knows if and how to run it on 110/220.

I wanted to throw my two bits in about the second air conditioner. I'm in California right now and the back gets really hot, you definitely need two air conditioners. My RV the 33 footer.

Pacific Northwest blues said:
I am almost finished with my 83 Holiday Rambler remodel. I do have a second AC in the back. But it only seems to run on the generator. I was wondering if anybody knows if and how to run it on 110/220.

You should start your own post to get better exposure/coverage. A member out there may have the answer to your question but may not come back to this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom