FMCA Verizon Hotspot - Unlimited Data - $50/month - No Contract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You must have missed Joel's post in this thread a couple of days ago:

"Here's FMCA's statement about the status of this plan.  Failure to prepare for real-world conditions resulted in its demise:"

06/19/2017 3:48pm EST
As you may have heard, FMCA had been working with Verizon to offer a special rate on an unlimited wireless data plan. After the ?soft launch? of this plan to a test group of FMCA members (before the planned launch to all members), Verizon called FMCA and told us to pull the offering. Verizon officials indicated that they will not be honoring any of the orders that had been entered during this test period. We are still working to see whether FMCA and Verizon can put together an advantageous plan for FMCA members, but at this point we are not certain what will result from discussions with Verizon officials.

I got the "Official" FMCA letter yesterday "That did not work out as planned"

The deal was published in several magazines, it was signed I gather, but Verizon "Changed their (alleged) mind"

Yet another reason in my book to boycott them.  (Cuss-some-More (non)Service is my primary reason)

Talk about egg on your face. I feel sorry for the FMCA folks who worked hard on this program only to have VZ pull the plug at the last moment (I have no reason to doubt the FMCA's version of the situation.)

John Canfield said:
(I have no reason to doubt the FMCA's version of the situation.)

With all due respect, this same situation has occurred when other smaller Verizon resellers have attempted to open their negotiated rate plans to the general public.  The last one of these I can remember was a school district in Alabama, I believe.  When Verizon negotiates a sub-market rate plan they do so with the understanding that access to the plan would be limited to members of the "group."

In the current case, FMCA did not impose adequate controls to prevent non-MH owners from signing up for FMCA membership in order to access the Verizon plan.  In fact, no controls at all were imposed, just a blank in the membership form into which an applicant is supposed to enter information about his MH.  As you can imagine many people weren't very truthful about what information they entered.

The following is from FMCA's FAQs on the issue:

I?ve heard people who don?t own a motorhome joined just for this benefit. How could that happen?

FMCA had no intention of extending this benefit to non-motorhome owners. At this time, membership in FMCA is open to owners of Type A, B, and C motorhomes, and bus conversions. FMCA has measures in place to ensure that new members are motorhome owners. If someone who doesn?t own a qualifying RV claims to have joined, it could be that he or she didn?t understand the question, or chose not to answer appropriately.

IMHO it is difficult to read the above remark without coming to the conclusion that FMCA staff are either clueless about human behavior (were they really surprised that people lied about whether they owned a MH) or they are simply incompetent.  Maybe they thought they could quietly increase the number of members and no one would notice? 

In either case, it obviously resulted in cancellation of the program and I see no reason for people to heap blame on Verizon for that.  Verizon does plenty of things worth complaining about but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

When I go out to the desert camping with my ATT phone friends ...they have to borrow my Verizon phone to make a call. 

IMO,  If you don't have Verizon,  sometimes you don't have a phone .. ;)

TonyDtorch said:
If you don't have Verizon,  sometimes you don't have a phone .. ;)

Yup. Our Mobley has been doing a great job for us and at $20/mo you can't lose. But we're now at the second spot in a couple days with zero AT&T coverage. Our Verizon mifi is struggling along mightily at 0.12Mbps, so no Netflix tonight  ;)

Sun2Retire said:
Yup. Our Mobley has been doing a great job for us and at $20/mo you can't lose. But we're now at the second spot in a couple days with zero AT&T coverage. Our Verizon mifi is struggling along mightily at 0.12Mbps, so no Netflix tonight  ;)

So far, any place we've been where AT&T was weak or even seemed to be non-existent, turning on our Max Amp RV cell booster has given us more than usable data speeds.

Back
Top Bottom