Plugging in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCBowtech

Can a 50amp travel trailer be plugged into a 15amp outlet and if so what will it run?? Fridge? lights? tv?

BCBowtech said:
Can a 50amp travel trailer be plugged into a 15amp outlet and if so what will it run?? Fridge? lights? tv?

Yes to all of the above. You will not be able to run your Air C or possibly a microwave.

BCBowtech said:
To put it another way, it's like using a single outlet at home, but for the whole coach. Of course you need an adapter to actually get plugged in.

Thanks guys... Also would we be able to charge up our Laptop?

Im not worried about running the AC or using the microwave so thats a non issue..

BCBowtech said:
Thanks guys... Also would we be able to charge up our Laptop?

With PC electronics being what they are... Not going to say YES.. but I've used ours in our 50 amp rig, adapted from a 15 amp supply... using 50 foot, 12 gauge extension cord.

Thanks again... that solves my worries as to where we may be calling home for a the first 3 months..

Most any single thing will work, though the air conditioner is very likely to trip the breaker when starting up. Note the the breaker that trips is the one serving the 15A outlet, not the ones in the RV.

Also be aware that the 15A outlet is probably not alone on the circuit that feeds it. There are usually other outlets sharing the available power, so you may not have the full 15A available to power the RV.

The 15amp is the only service available at one of the local rv parks where we might be staying Aug-Sept.. and then moving to a park with 50 amp... so I think we will be ok there for a month..

It's more of a math exercise than an electricity problem. Determine what the current draw is for your electrical devices, either via the owners manuals or one of the many charts available on line to get a ballpark number, and know that you can draw up to 15 amps total before tripping a breaker.

Our rule for this situation  is "only one major appliance at a time".  Major appliances include the electric hot water heater, my hair dryer, coffee maker, vacuum cleaner,  etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom