Prroblem with brake controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambler28

I installed a new tekonsha P3 in my 2000 F350 using their factory pig tail easy install but I have no voltage to rear plug when I step on the brake pedal. When operating the manual lever I get voltage. all fuses for stops lights  etc. check out good. Thanks for the help.

It's been ages since I installed mine, but if your Tekonsha is a pendulum type, stepping on the brake while you're not moving won't move the pendulum and won't send current to the brakes.  Since your slider sends current, I'd suggest turning the voltage all the way up and then pressing your brake pedal at a slow speed.  You should feel the trailer braking.

To test that theory unmount the controller and tip it to 90 degrees while pressing on the brake pedal.

If that test fails you might not have wired it to the brake light circuit properly.

The P3 has no pendulum, so tilting it does nothing. It uses a solid state accelerometer chip to detect motion.

The P3 is a proportional braking controller, so it applies trailer brake voltage in proportion to the rate the tow vehicle is slowing down (braking).  There is no voltage when at rest because the tow vehicle itself isn't braking. The manual lever is an override and does not depend on motion, so you get voltage that way.

Ain't technology grand?

Thanks, Gary I wish that was explained in the directions I looked at the trouble shooting window on the controller and just assumed there would voltage at the plug. You saved my day Gary thanks again.   

Gary Ex-RVer said:
The P3 has no pendulum, so tilting it does nothing. It uses a solid state accelerometer chip to detect motion.

The P3 is a proportional braking controller, so it applies trailer brake voltage in proportion to the rate the tow vehicle is slowing down (braking).  There is no voltage when at rest because the tow vehicle itself isn't braking. The manual lever is an override and does not depend on motion, so you get voltage that way.

Ain't technology grand?

Wait.

Gary Ex-Rver?  I've been drifting in and out, but this seems new and notable.

Back
Top Bottom