Suggestion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryA

I can't get air in my inside rear tires.  I have extensions and can easily access the valve but air won't go in.  My compressor is adequate as the front and outside rear tires are easily inflatable.  Just can't get the 2 inside rear tires with the extensions to accept air???

Check the depth of the remaining thread where the air extension is mounted. It's possible that the air chuck is hitting the nut and not making contact with the valve.

GaryA said:
I can't get air in my inside rear tires.  I have extensions and can easily access the valve but air won't go in.  My compressor is adequate as the front and outside rear tires are easily inflatable.  Just can't get the 2 inside rear tires with the extensions to accept air???

GaryA
I suspect either you are not getting the air chuck seated properly to the input end of the extensions..
OR that the extensions themselves are no good.

Extensions are npt good things.  They often fail to properly inflate or leak.  What you need is a dual head air chuck.  With the hub caps off you should be able to reach in through one of the slots in the wheel and air them up.

Thanks, gentlemen.  I was hoping not to go thru the trouble of removing hubcaps but may need to do that.  I know I'm getting the airhose seated properly.  I'm leaning toward having faulty extensions????

GaryA said:
Thanks, gentlemen.  I was hoping not to go thru the trouble of removing hubcaps but may need to do that.  I know I'm getting the airhose seated properly.  I'm leaning toward having faulty extensions????

Have they ever worked for you?

Rene, yes they have worked before.  I'm thinking, MAYBE, I need to adjust my air compressor up in order to get more air strength. 

I have the same problem, depending on which air chuck I use. To fix it I use a tool to unscrew the schrader valve out enough that the nipple on the chuck will depress the valve. When finished screw the schrader valve back down until its seated. Do Not unscrew the valve completely unless you dont mind searching thru the grass or parking lot for it.

GaryA said:
Rene, yes they have worked before.  I'm thinking, MAYBE, I need to adjust my air compressor up in order to get more air strength.

Your compressor may fill a tire to 150# but the cut in pressure may be 140#. That means that it will not start if the tire is at 141# already. You would need to bleed off some air to get the compressor to start then fill the tire. It will then run until it reaches 150#. These numbers are fictitious only to give you an idea of what may be happening.

GaryA
Both Cat's Eyes? Equalizers http://www.linkmfg.com/products/cats-eye/ and Crossfire Dual? Tire Pressure Equalizers http://www.dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/ have a SINGLE VALVE for checking the pressure of... and adding air to...a PAIR of dually tires on a side.
I've been using Link Cat?s Eye? Equalizers on my rear duallys since 2002.

The other solution is to take off the chrome wheel covers.  A dual foot air chuck will fit through the hole in the rim and line up with a standard valve stem on the inside tire.  The problem comes when the wheel cover is in place, it's holes are just a little bit smaller than the holes in the rim, just enough to keep the tire chuck from seating on the inside valve stem.

The wheel covers come off easily. There is usually two real nuts holding them on, and the rest are fake. You can locate the real two by tapping on them. The real ones will sound solid. The fake ones sound like hitting an empty tin can. The real one have dimples on the sides as well. Easier to tap them. You probably have a small T tool somewhere in the rv that is meant to fit the nuts on the covers. The covers are actually call wheel simulators.

Back
Top Bottom