House batteries bulging...now what ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaddaYadda

Came back from RV service center for a spring check-up.  Our four 6v batteries were noted as bulging but they passed a load test.  Recommendation was to get new batteries.  I think this is a good idea and was considering Interstate, Trojan or Deka (if in our area).  Any thoughts?  Our batteries are 6 years old and RV is plugged in 24x7, year around.  Inverter/Charger is a 2002 Freedom 2000 Combi.  Bats never equalized or tested with a hydrometer. 

Probably the charger portion of the Freedom 2000 should be tested for output.  How does one do this ?  I am not going to switch out batteries.... but will go to the service center, which has treated me good in the past.  I am a auto/electrical dunce and could use an overview of replacing old batteries.  (Will take a photo and make dwg of existing hook-up)

Trojan is the gold standard for deep cycle batteries, but 6v GC2 deep cycles are pretty much a commodity these days. Interstate gets theirs from US Battery, who is a well-regarded manufacturer of GC2 deep cycles. Deka comes from battery giant East Penn Mfg, and their GC2's are decent as well. Sam's Club and Costco also sell good quality private label GC2 batteries, so shop around for price.

The Combi is probably working fine. With the batteries hooked up and shore power for the Combi, check the voltage at the house batteries. Should be about 13.6, but if the old batteries are in poor condition or have corroded connections, the charger may show greater or lesser voltage. If you do this with the new batteries, they should stabilize at 13.6v once they reach 100% charge.

How bad are the batteries bulging?  Some bulging is not unusual and is not a problem. 

Take a straight edge (ruler) and put it on the high point of the longest bulging side and hold the straight edge so the gap at the front and rear of the battery is equal and then measure the gap.  If the gap at the front and rear is as much as 1/2" then I would say the batteries are really bulging badly and probably should be replaced.  If the gaps are more like 1/8" to 1/4" I would think the batteries are fine. 

Note: you want to measure when the front and rear gaps are the same distance.   

If you do decide to replace the batteries, go to Costco or Sam's Club and buy the batteries for about $80-$90 each.  No need to pay for Trojan unless you are going to do a lot of dry camping or boondocking and also spend the time to be sure the batteries are well maintained and cared for. 

One quick recommendation.. or two

For this discussion, any battery to battery cable.. Is not the subject of this hint.

Battery to "Somewhere off you need not know where" there should be at least one negative, paint or tape it with BLACK paint, nail polish or tape

And one on the POSITIVE,, use red on this wire.

NOTE: if more than one wire runs "off to who knows where) tie or tape these wires together so you make sure you re-connect them all when done.

Finally PHOTOGRAPH.. Take pictures of the hookup.. You can look at 'em later. 

Beyond that.. I have nothing to add.

Thank you for the replies.  Who knows about Crown 6v batteries, in Fremont, OH.  $150 each.  RV dealer says only one return for factory defect in 3 years. 

If RV is plugged in 24/7 I would buy cheapest batteries possible and leave them disconnected unless you're really going to use it off grid.

Crown isn't a battery manufacturer - just one of a zillion "private label" brands. Nearly all standard sizes of  vehicle batteries in the USA are made by one of these big four manufacturers: Johnson Controls, East Penn, Exide, and US Battery.  They build them all and slap on whatever brand label is desired, and there is no discernible difference in quality.  There are a few specialty manufacturers like Trojan, and Concord (aka Lifeline) as well, but they are a tiny percentage of the market. The specialty makers usually have a slight technology edge vs the mass-producers, but you pay more as well.

Shop by the size you want (GC2 6v in this case) and amp-hours and take the best price offered. You won't go wrong. Just make sure you are comparing the same number of amp-hours  and they are measured at the standard 20 hour rate. Sometimes a sales blurb will state some big amp-hour number but it turns out to be at 100 hours or some other non-standard measure.  The standard for comparison is the 20-hour rate.

If you don't use the batteries, why replace them? I sure wouldn't buy 4 batteries if you don't use them off line. First thing I'd do is find out if you need to have batteries in the coach at all. Some converters need batteries some don't.

Gary Ex-RVer said:
Crown isn't a battery manufacturer - just one of a zillion "private label" brands.

I'm not sure that's a true statement:

http://www.crownbattery.com/how-the-worlds-best-batteries-are-made

With everything I've read about Crown batteries, I'd say they're just as good, if not better than Trojan or Concord.

YaddaYadda said:
Thank you for the replies.  Who knows about Crown 6v batteries, in Fremont, OH.  $150 each.  RV dealer says only one return for factory defect in 3 years.
#1-- When you can buy the batteries at Costco or Sam's club, or even WalMart, for $80-$90 why would you pay the extra money to an RV dealer?

#2-- You said in your OP you have the RV plugged in 24/7 so the only time you ever use the batteries is when the RV is moved.  So why bother getting new batteries.  After all the RV shop said they did a load test and the batteries were good. 

AStravelers......I did the straight edge test you mentioned.  About 1/4 inch on first two.  Can't get to the last two...easily. 

#1...If I brought the above three batteries to RV dealer to install.....warranty work will not apply. 

#2...They are six years old and have the 1/4 inch bulge as per above.  We use the RV at home when the power goes out.  Home is all electric.  We have spent 1/2 to 3 days, per year, in the RV waiting for power to be restored, over our 11 years here.  There is also the slight possibility of some no goodniks disrupting the power grids on the west coast....long term.  Want new batteries that will recharge via generator.

At 6 years on a regular or "Marine" style deep discharge batteries, they are at the very end of their usable life. Simply replace them.

YaddaYadda said:
AStravelers......I did the straight edge test you mentioned.  About 1/4 inch on first two.  Can't get to the last two...easily. 

#1...If I brought the above three batteries to RV dealer to install.....warranty work will not apply. 

#2...They are six years old and have the 1/4 inch bulge as per above.  We use the RV at home when the power goes out.  Home is all electric.  We have spent 1/2 to 3 days, per year, in the RV waiting for power to be restored, over our 11 years here.  There is also the slight possibility of some no goodniks disrupting the power grids on the west coast....long term.  Want new batteries that will recharge via generator.
Sounds like good reasons to have the dealer replace the batteries. Go for it.

1/4 inch sounds like normal bulging , but as others have said. the batteries are getting old. 

Bought four Crown 6v @ $125 each and service center installed for $95.  So far, so good........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom