Washer/Dryer Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dondi

Hi, we are new to rving. We pick up our 5er in a week and a half. It's an KS Avalanche 320rs and we only have a spot for a combo unit. My question is what combo unit(s) do you recommend? I was reading some on here and it seems that the Splendide seems to have some issues with the motherboard. Have many of you experienced this? Are there other brands that don't have that problem? In your opinion what is the best option? Thank you. :)

Kevin & Dondi

4 furbabies Piper, Zoe, Lilly & Rat
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel
2017 KS Avalanche 320rs

I only had problems with my Splendide combo motherboard after a surge hit on the RV.  Replaced the board and worked well after that.

If you have room for a stacked separate units that is the way to go.  Had that on my last unit and works much better to be able to wash and dry at the same time.

I've had the Splendide for almost 4 years and never had any issues. We live in the RV for 5 months every year and use it just about every other day.
I've been told that the vented model dries better than the non-vented one.  I can't prove it. You'll have to read up on that online I guess. 

We have the Non-vented and the drier is just about useless. My wife hangs clothes to dry. I could have saved a lot of money by buying a regular washer. It would have been a lot lighter and easier to get into the cabinet as well.

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately Yolo we don't have room for separate units.We will be full timing although for a while we won't be going on too many trips, at least until we pay off the truck :) Looks like we will strongly consider a Splendide. Thank you folks!

DickHutchings said:
We have the Non-vented and the drier is just about useless.

We have a non-vented and the dryer is fine as far as we're concerned.  Sure, it's slow, but ALL RV dryers will be slow regardless of whether or not they are combo's or stacked units.  It's simply physics, power = voltage x current.  A home dryer using 240 V at 40A will be four times faster in drying a load compared to a 120V dryer operating on a 20A circuit.

The trick for using combo's is that the instructions make it clear that they can wash a significantly heavier load than it can dry effectively.  If you put too much in the dryer it really will take forever and the clothes will be wrinkled.  What we usually do is wash everything on the cotton cycle because it has a high speed spin to get the water out of the clothes.  We then remove a few items to hang up and then dry the remainder on the permanent press setting  (unless they are sheets, towels and other things that can take high heat.)

If our Spendide were to fail (unvented model) I would take a careful look at the LG unvented which gets good reviews on Amazon.  It is also a 24" wide unit that would fit in the same space.

we had one in our MH- it was original and about 11 years old when we traded in the MH. we never had any issues with it. we used it a lot on our 2 week trips and then  used it about every day for 10 months when we went full timing last June. just follow the instructions on how much laundry to put in.

I love our Splendide combo vented unit.  There is a learning curve initially such as learning the size of wash and dry loads so you don't get a lot of wrinkles.  I often wash one load and then divide it in half and dry each half separately.  For things like shirts that should be pretty wrinkle free I take them out when still damp and hang to finish drying.  Towels and socks get dried all the way.

ArdraF

Love our vented combo. Small loads, use low heat, pull some things out while slightly damp which are prone to wrinkling. Very handy

I have no experience with either, but here is a unit I saw the other day:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dometic-ventless-washer-dryer-combo-white/101748

I guess it's another alternative to a Splendide. It's not vented though.

We had a vented one in our Class A that worked much better than the non-vented we have now, according to my wife. Both Splendides.

Question, if the dryer is non-vented where does the moisture and heat go?
Does it just dump that inside the trailer?

butchiiii said:
Question, if the dryer is non-vented where does the moisture and heat go?
Does it just dump that inside the trailer?

Unvented combos have a condensing system that puts the moisture down the drain.  The current model Splendide uses ~1.5 gal/hr of water while it is drying clothes.  The water cools the condenser so that the water vapor turns back into a liquid.

No moisture enters the room (the RV). Unvented combos aren't common in the US, but are used throughout Europe and Asia where they provide a way of having a dryer where venting to the outside isn't practical.

They're often used on boats too because overspray might get inside a vent.

ArdraF

I replaced a circuit board in a previous Splendide (a model 2000S) when it was about 4 years old (a $300 part!). Then we replaced the 2000S with a 2100XC in April 2010 and it both performed better and had no electronic woes either, at least not as of late 2016 when we sold the coach.

We owned a Splendide when we lived in Italy for five years and never had a problem.  Granted the load size in much smaller but that is something I was able to adapt to for my family.  Now we own a motorhome and have another Splendide and have had no difficulties.  It doesn't matter what you are looking at, someone will have had a problem with it and will tell anyone who listens that it is a waste of money.  Someone mentioned a motherboard problem, well my American made washer developed a motherboard problem.  We replaced it and never had another problem.

Owning an RV means you are pretty much limited to a Splendide, I would say don't let others scare you off, some will have had problems, but many more won't have had a problem and may not be members of the RV Forum. 

Owning an RV means you are pretty much limited to a Splendide, I would say don't let others scare you off, some will have had problems, but many more won't have had a problem and may not be members of the RV Forum. 

That might be true for a combo, but we had Maytag stackables in the Beaver, and we have Whirlpool stackables in our Ventana.

And Dometic is also making a combo unit. I don't think they have a vented unit yet though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom