Roof Repair - end cap termination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryStar

I'm in the final stages of repairing/replacing the roof on my old dinosaur and have a question about the termination bars for the front/rear end caps.  The repairs are done and the rubber replaced, with the new rubber going a few inches under the end caps and glued to the wood sheeting.  I'm not sure how to seal the end caps, as the prior owner(s) pretty much made the original termination bars useless with tar paper, lap sealant, putty - you name it, and it's not clear what was originally used.

I bought new termination bars but I'm not quite sure how to seal them.  Should I layer a strip of butyl tape on top of the rubber, then the end cap material, then another strip of butyl tape, then the termination bar on top of all of that?  The front cap material is aluminum with what seems like a fiber backing for insulation/noise dampening.  The rear cap material is just fiberglass so somewhat thinner and more fragile than the front.  I have 4" Eternabond tape and may seal them with that after screwing them down but I'm not sure if thats's necessary.  I've learned so much from just lurking on this forum, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim R.

BinaryStar said:
I'm in the final stages of repairing/replacing the roof on my old dinosaur and have a question about the termination bars for the front/rear end caps.  The repairs are done and the rubber replaced, with the new rubber going a few inches under the end caps and glued to the wood sheeting.  I'm not sure how to seal the end caps, as the prior owner(s) pretty much made the original termination bars useless with tar paper, lap sealant, putty - you name it, and it's not clear what was originally used.

I bought new termination bars but I'm not quite sure how to seal them.  Should I layer a strip of butyl tape on top of the rubber, then the end cap material, then another strip of butyl tape, then the termination bar on top of all of that?  The front cap material is aluminum with what seems like a fiber backing for insulation/noise dampening.  The rear cap material is just fiberglass so somewhat thinner and more fragile than the front. I have 4" Eternabond tape and may seal them with that after screwing them down but I'm not sure if thats's necessary.  I've learned so much from just lurking on this forum, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim R.

BinaryStar
I would go with the 4" Eternabond tape.

Dicor instructions:
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Rubber-TPO-Roofing-Installation-Guide-401CK.pdf

Here is one guy's method (not RV specific):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKRdrph75M

OP, my understanding on these termination bars is this: front rubber roof goes under siding, then bar has butyl tape under it, screw down, then lap sealant ( self leveling ) on both sides of termination bar. at the rear, siding down,rubber roof lays over the whole rear top end, new butyl tape under termination bar, screw it down, then self leveling sealant on both sides of the bar. that's what I read up on, and how I did mine. think of it this way, water, rain, what ever flows over the front bar, down the roof, then over the rear bar. if for some reason the bars sealant fails ?, then the water also has to flow over the siding at the end, because you ran the rubber roof over it, instead of under it.

Thanks everyone for the replies - much appreciated.  alan6051964, that description matches the Dicor document that Gary posted and makes sense - sounds like the way go.

BinaryStar said:
Thanks everyone for the replies - much appreciated.  alan6051964, that description matches the Dicor document that Gary posted and makes sense - sounds like the way go.
good deal, that's how and what I read up on, and watched dicor on youtube, pretty simple process :).

Back
Top Bottom