What's wrong with my slide ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskeyspirate

Own a 2015 Passport Ultra lite. It has your typical dinette slide out. It's cable driven, no tracks to speak of, no gears, just cables. It has begun to jerk and jump a little as it comes in or out. The dealer of course wants $250.00 to check and adjust. I'm not a big fan of the dealers service dept. What could be the possible cause and remedy to this problem. If I pick up on the outside of the slide as it's moving, it stops the jumping. I have posted this issue in the past, however there were no answers to my problem. Is this a cable adjustment, lube issue ? Need a little help here !! Thanks in advance, any suggestions are appreciated.

If it will help I have a slide but it is a hydraulic one. It seems to me that the metal framing holding the slide needs adjustment or the slide needs a lot of lube. On mine it is adjustable do get the slide to move up or down depending on the problem. You said that when you lift it up it moves better.  That sounds like the metal railings need  to be adjusted. I would recommend a trusted mechanics do this. Just my opinion .

You will need the make (and model) of the side mechanism. There was a note just last week or so on a similar cable controlled model and reviewing recent subjects may reveal it (likely in the Tech section).

On Edit: It might be a Bal Accu slide, there is quite a bit of info that can be found using Google and searching for Bal accu slide.

Here's a couple of recent threads, maybe they will be of some help:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,72915.msg895445.html#msg895445

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105141.msg946978.html#msg946978

Thanks guys....I'll do these searches and see if I can find a solution. Unfortunately, with the new "ultra lite" campers I think that the cable slide is here to stay. 

Sounds like an Accu-Slide system that I have on 2 of my slides.

FIrst.. A recommendation.. Find out if that is what it is and if it's Accu-Slide get a replacement cable kit or two. they are not expensive and if a cable should ever break.. Well if you catch it while you can still SEE THE BREAK replacement is easy.. ONce the cable has come out of the pullies. it is a major pain in the operating system.. Trust me.. I did not take this advice and that is how I know.

Now.. On the Accu-Slide the "power unit" is either above, or below, the slide out, likely above.. There will be a facia (a panal that can be removed) so you can see it.

On mine I had an issue with nuts working loose on the "Adjusters" and as a result ont all cables wer pulling.

I re-adjusted and added a NYLOCK nut to the end of the threaded shaft (The NYLOCK is not tightened down, just enough so the bolt comes through the nut .. it makes sure the adjuster nuts do not go falling off)

My kitchen slide did the whole "jerk and jump" action when I first bought it. When I was looking for the problem, I noticed that the bolts holding the motor to its bracket had loosened and allowed the motor to wiggle and jump gears.

I added a dab of loctite and re-tightened the bolts. All has been well for two years since.

More of the story....recently I took the camper to a well known service center. They had it for 9 days, phoned me to say "it's fixed and ready to go". They say that they had worked on it for 3 days straight. I paid the $250.00 slid out the slide prior to leaving, and guess what ? It acts as if it had never been touched. Still jerking, both in, and out. They say that they called Keystone tech help, but apparently they were no help. Now what ? Check soon in the buy and sell section.  My son has a 4 year old Jayco....never been in the shop.

What do you mean by "Jearking" as it moves

Four types of slides.
1: Power gear (Rack and pinion, long toothed rail under slideout, usualy 2 of them)
2: Accu-Slide (cable cars, when extended you will see two cables on the "Front" and 2 more on the "Back" of the slide (Front and back refer to when you are traveling down the road)
3: Hydraulic.. (Self explainatory)
4: Swinteck.. There is a rail on front and back of slideout that looks a bit like ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All have different "issues" and we need to know which kind the slide is

My Slides have a tendency to stop and I need to re-start them.. I do know why, not a malfunction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom