F250 Super Duty V10 milage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

Hi all, just got back from a 1200 mile trip towing my Denali 35 ft. fifth wheel. The trip perfect. I have a question on what others get as far as gas mileage with their V10 engine. The truck has the 4:10 rear and the trip was thru mountains and winds and 65 mph speeds. We averaged 6.4 MPG. Is the all I can expect as what are others getting. I have to say this truck was more than I expected it towed perfectly even with the winds. Thanks for all your replies.

I had a 2002 F-350 with the V10.  I wish I could tell you how I found a way to improve my gas milage but I never did - not significantly anyway.  I had the 27 gallon fuel tank (short bed) and we were generally looking for a gas station every 150 miles.  Good luck.  BTW, I did finally more than double my average MPG but that cost me a new truck :).

sc4668 said:
Hi all, just got back from a 1200 mile trip towing my Denali 35 ft. fifth wheel. The trip perfect. I have a question on what others get as far as gas mileage with their V10 engine. The truck has the 4:10 rear and the trip was thru mountains and winds and 65 mph speeds. We averaged 6.4 MPG. Is the all I can expect as what are others getting. I have to say this truck was more than I expected it towed perfectly even with the winds. Thanks for all your replies.

My 01 F350 and 36' 5ver was always around 8 mpg with the V-10......my 08 F250 V-10 with the same 5ver is about the same. 5ver is right about 12.5 K.

I would have guessed about 8 mpg, but you had wind and mountainous terrain to contend with. The 65 mpg hurt too.

You can help by training yourself to minimize acceleration and deceleration. Start up slow & easy, climb hills more slowly, and manage your speed so that braking (deceleration) is minimized. Every time you use the brakes you are wasting the fuel you spent to gain speed in the first place. Your driving habits alone can add as much as 0.5 mpg. Holding speed down to around 60 instead of 65 might get another 0.5 mpg.

Thanks for the reply's I guess I need to slow down . The truck pulls the %th wheel so easy its hard to go only 60. I also get about 11 mpg without the trailer.

I think 6.5 mpg is phenomenal given the following conditions:
-truck only averages 11mog without a trailer
-the trailer is 35' long, that's no dingy
-big gas engine
-mountainous terrain
-windy conditions

You are lucky you got over 6 given those facts. 

Back
Top Bottom