Another inverter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Having an issue with power to residential fridge while towing.  Fridge is not staying on.  Couple of questions.  When parked and connected to 50 amp, does the inverter charge the batteries back to full capacity? I am leaving the inverter switch on all the time while camped, is this the correct thing to do?  If batteries are not charged, will that cause the inverter not to function properly?  Must admit, I am pretty dumb when it comes to electrical issues.  Is there a test I can do while disconnected from truck and also shore power?  Thanks

I unplugged from shore power and fridge and lights are working ok.  I'm thinking my problem might be with my bed plug from truck.  Any tips on how to check that?

The Converter takes 120 volts A/C from shore-power and converts it to 12 volts D/C for your 12 volt House circuits. The Converter also charges your batteries. The Inverter takes 12 volts from your House batteries and inverts it to 120 volts A/C to power A/C appliances, like your residential refrigerator.

Our Inverter and Converter are one unit, but most are separate devices. You didn't mention what type of RV you have , so I don't know what yours might be. If your res fridge works while plugged into shore-power, but shuts off while driving down the road, your House batteries may be too deeply discharged to power the Inverter/fidge. That might indicate a problem with the circuit that allows the engine's alternator to charge the batteries.

It is okay to leave the Inverter on while plugged into shore-power. The Inverter has a bypass circuit that will power your A/C appliances directly from shore-power (Unless it's an after-market installation) 

Kev

Kevin Means said:
The Converter takes 120 volts A/C from shore-power and converts it to 12 volts D/C for your 12 volt House circuits. The Converter also charges your batteries. The Inverter takes 12 volts from your House batteries and inverts it to 120 volts A/C to power A/C appliances, like your residential refrigerator.

Our Inverter and Converter are one unit, but most are separate devices. You didn't mention what type of RV you have , so I don't know what yours might be. If your res fridge works while plugged into shore-power, but shuts off while driving down the road, your House batteries may be too deeply discharged to power the Inverter/fidge. That might indicate a problem with the circuit that allows the engine's alternator to charge the batteries.

It is okay to leave the Inverter on while plugged into shore-power. The Inverter has a bypass circuit that will power your A/C appliances directly from shore-power (Unless it's an after-market installation) 
Kev
Thanks for the info.  After posting earlier I let fridge run on just batteries after disconnecting from shore power.  Fridge kicked off after about 10 minutes so will check batteries.  Thanks again. 

Edit: Moderator moved misplaced end-quote tag

Let fridge run on batteries after disconnecting from shore power.  Only ran for about 10 minutes on batteries.  I will check batteries.  Thanks for the input

To be of much help we need to know the coach year/make/model and inverter type and model. If your charger is separate from the inverter, it needs to be on when on shore or genset power to charge the batteries.

You may also have a battery issue if they don't store an adequate charge to allow the inverter to operate for very long. What is your house battery set-up, e.g. number of batteries, type, age, etc. The inverter isn't any good without solid battery performance behind it.

Many questions.. THe first is: How much battery do you have?

A group 24 (not going to last long) 2,3,4
Group 27 (Bit longer)
Grop 28 (Again a bit longer)
Group 31 times two (Might last some time)
GC-2 pairs (NOTE this is a six volt battery when on the shelf so to make it into a 12 volt battery you wire 2 of 'em in series each pair is a 12 volt.. roughly a 4D electrically)
Multiple pairs
4D or multiple

A fridge draws fronm 75 to 250 watts with the heaters OFF, with the heaters on it draws more
Divide by 10 to get the approixment 12 volt draw  (IE: 75 watts 7,5 amnps 250 watts 25 amps)

NOw a group 24, is good for about 25 amp hours of usable energy OVER A 20 HOUR PERIOD.

At 25 amps.  15 minutes OR LESS sounds about right.

Next issue... On the road again you are charging fron the truck alternator.. Odds are it is only providing a few amps to the trailer, not anything near what the fridge needs  Wires just can not haul that kind of anprage

Back
Top Bottom