Stationary door panel seems to be no longer available

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnh10

Fort Pierce, FL (winter) - Franklin, NH (summer)
So, the back door on my 5th wheeler is 36"x76" and is missing the stationary door panel, about 9 3/4"x26".
It's a Lippert door, and Lippert support just informed me that particular part is NLA - no longer available.

Anyone have an idea to track this part down or have custom made? Or rig something up?
I would like to have the door open without bugs getting in and the girlfriend screaming at me. :p

Attachments

• 20170612_171731.jpg
    20170612_171731.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 33
  • back_door.jpg
    back_door.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 23
I would go to lowes or homedepot, look for either some plexi glass in white or something white, and close to the thickness of your screen door, then simply cut it to fit, most of this can be cut with a hand saw, or table saw. this seems like the cheaper way to me. or, you can just buy a new screen door ?..but that will cost a penny or two..lol.

also, you could put some white sheet metal in there, but it won't be as thick ?, and you would need to shim up the difference where the sheet metal rest in the frame :). this can be cut with tin snips :).

alan6051964 said:
I would go to lowes or homedepot, look for either some plexi glass in white or something white, and close to the thickness of your screen door, then simply cut it to fit, most of this can be cut with a hand saw, or table saw. this seems like the cheaper way to me. or, you can just buy a new screen door ?..but that will cost a penny or two..lol.

I would go to a glass company and have them cut a piece of Lexan. Plexiglas will have a better chance of breaking then Lexan.  Lexan is more forgiving and will take a lot more punishment.

Rene T said:
I would go to a glass company and have them cut a piece of Lexan. Plexiglas will have a better chance of breaking then Lexan.  Lexan is more forgiving and will take a lot more punishment.
your right, I forgot all about lexan !..lol. been awhile sense I have used lexan, tough product..thats for sure !.

Get a lexan (not plexiglass) panel cut to size. Most home, hardware or glass stores can do it, or you can even order it on Ebay, cut to size. Lexan is harder to bend so the measurement has to be right, but it lasts far longer than plexiglass and doesn't scratch as easily.

Would a piece of FRP from Lowes or Home Depot work? Or maybe outfit it with screen?

Another vote for Lexan here. I even have some sitting around - I'd give you a piece if you were closer to me. On a side note, how do you like the Andersen hitch? I've had mine for a year now and love it.

Brilliant! I didn't even know about Lexan, but I picked up a 12"x24" piece at Home Depot for $15.
Now I have to find an oscillating tool to cut it to size. Thanks for that idea!

Andersen hitch is a thumbs up. Only hitch I've used, but it's great imo. Can attach/detach it in about 2 minutes, so I have use of the flat bed.

You can cut (actually "break") lexan with simple hand tools.  Basically you score a deep line and bend along it to break at the line. A scratch awl or glass cutter blade works. You have to carefully & fully support one side of the line while bending the other side down to snap it off.  If it's a bit rough, smooth with 80-100 grit sandpaper.  Your first try might be a learning experience, though.  ;)

A fine tooth blade in a jig saw works too, but use a low cutting speed so that it doesn't melt the lexan or go out of control.

Lowes, Depot, etc. would have cut the piece to size for you at no charge.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A fine tooth blade in a jig saw works too, but use a low cutting speed so that it doesn't melt the lexan or go out of control.

Put a layer of duct tape or masking tape down first, then mark the lines The tape is used so the saw doesn't scratch the clear Lexan finish unless you plan on painting it.

Back
Top Bottom