Possibly looking for older, flat towable 4WD full size pickup toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Both for needs unrelated to RVing, and for carrying our dogs and other stuff while we're using it for RVing, I'm considering switching my current toad from a Grand Cherokee to a full size 4WD pickup to flat tow. For budgetary reasons it will have to be something in the very early 2000's range. My preference, just because I've had Ford in the past and because they have such a great reputation, is an F150. From what I've read only the manual transfer case is towable (which makes sense as the electronic one doesn't have a neutral position). Not sure if manual transfer was available with automatic trans or not, manual trans not my first choice but OK if it makes the plan come together. Must be 3-4 door extended cab, crew would be nice but probably out of budget. (I bring up the cab size in case that is related to transfer case options.)

Wide open to suggestions, including make. Thx

The web site referenced in the previous post gives Ford towing specs back to 2003.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

For 2003, F150, manual or auto 4X4 were flat towable, as noted
(e) Manual transfer case only (not Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly 4x4). (f) Requires that the center disconnect be locked out by capping off one of the front axle vacuum motor lines. See your Ford Dealer for assistance.

2WD not flat towable.

With regard to flat tow, I am looking at a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD auto. Remco says it can be flat towed without restrictions and the owners manual I downloaded supports that. However Remco goes on to comment that, "When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain". I did not see and such requirement in the manual, and the key is supposed to be in the "unlocked/off" position so I'm confused as to why there would be any battery drain. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thx

Sun2Retire said:
With regard to flat tow, I am looking at a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD auto. Remco says it can be flat towed without restrictions and the owners manual I downloaded supports that. However Remco goes on to comment that, "When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain". I did not see and such requirement in the manual, and the key is supposed to be in the "unlocked/off" position so I'm confused as to why there would be any battery drain. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thx
Maybe draw from the brake controller and lights in the toad?  I just had an install done that charges the toad battery when the headlights are turned on in the MH, there was a dedicated wire run in the harness for that.  Don't think that is specific to the toad, but maybe the tow kit manufactuurer.  Mine is a Roadmaster kit with a Roadmaster Invisibrake system.

phil-t said:
Don't think that is specific to the toad, but maybe the tow kit manufactuurer.

I think you may be right. I note they sell Blue Oz braking systems of which I have no knowledge. I use the Brakemaster which draws no power from the toad

What are the choices of ignition key position?  In many vehicles, the "unlocked/off" position is not fully Off as it would be when the wheel is locked, and various vehicle systems are in standby mode.  However, it may be just a catch-all statement they stuck in for multiple vehicles, since some Dodge/Ram models have had battery drain problems. And brake units and such can have an effect as well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
What are the choices of ignition key position?

Don't know but will check it out. The manual seems to infer the ignition is off but wheel unlocked (same as my Jeep). Would be goofy to have a vehicle designed for "Recreational Towing" including instructions, that would require the ignition to be on during towing, but I suppose you never know

In 1999 I had a 2500 GMC and in 2001 a Chev 3500 both were 4x4 and towable, so I would think the 1500 4x4 would also be towable in the early 2000's. 

nvrver said:
In 1999 I had a 2500 GMC and in 2001 a Chev 3500 both were 4x4 and towable, so I would think the 1500 4x4 would also be towable in the early 2000's.

Yes according to Remco they are towable. Have been looking at both

Arch Hoagland said:
This may help a little:

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Great link, found information on my 2016 Ford F250 regarding towing. It will be my toad when I retire.

Back
Top Bottom