Neighborhood association says to trade down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

...and when I say trade down I mean it in a vertical sort of way.

We got a letter recently that is ordering us to do something with our Toyhauler.  We are allowed to have an RV in the back yard however it can't be seen over the fence.  I thought about fighting this on the grounds that you can't really see the trailer if you literally put your face at street level  ;) but I would probably not win this approach.

Ironically when we bought in this neighborhood a year and a half ago there were two other RV owners that would occasionally park on the street before/after camping but otherwise had other places to store their rig.  Due to the unique shape of our oversize lot and double wide gate we easily store our toy hauler in the back.  One person died and I don't think the wife wants to do this along any more.  The other family decided to move up to be able to permanently park on their property. 

For those interested the HOA Covenants and Restrictions states: "...Boats, motor homes, campers, travel trailers, garden trailers, storage trailers, and similar vehicles may only be placed and kept or stored upon a Lot containing a residence, placed no further forward than 10' behind the front building line of the residence, with landscape or fence screening so as to make same not visible from the street (including side street in the case of a corner Lot), or in a closed garage."  By the way fence screening option is not really an option either since we already have 6' vinyl fences and they can't be any higher.

I'm OK with the rules and actually thankful that we got away with having our toy hauler on our property for a year (we have owned it for over  two years and were so tired of picking it up or dropping it off that we bought our current home so we could park our Toyhauler) .  After all this convinence we will not go back to the expense and inconvenience of public storage.  My wife has charmed the HOA into letting us keep things in place for a little longer (but that was a telephone call with no paper follow-up of permission).  Now it is time to trade down and we are thinking about an A-Frame Pop up.  We like the idea of an A-Frame because it appears to have more security than a standard popup (we keep our dog in the trailer when we go out to do things during the day).  It will also be nice to not have the "inside the drum" feeling of a pop-out bed during a rainstorm.

We have the following questions:

1.  We have found a few different manufacturers of A-Frames; the ones in the Forest River family the Aliner and the Chalet.  Are their any more A-Frame manufacturers out there?

2. Why are the Aliners more expensive?  I like the style of the Rockwoods better anyway, especially with the extra storage up front.  I know that just about everything out there has wood and steel construction that will rot and rust so we will miss our Living Lite VRV so I was hoping that maybe Aliner had some special feature like all aluminum construction.

3.  Do A-Frames leak?  It would appear that with so many seams it may be possible.

4.  How long does it take to raise an A-Frame?  (update, just saw a video, 30 seconds for a person who is familiar with the Chalet)

5.  What is the worst thing anyone has ever heard of  a HOA doing as a result of non-compliance?

6. The lady who lives across the street was talking with my wife and mentioned that sometimes a pop-up can sway when being towed.  She is one of the former RV owners so has some experience.  I have not had a chance to ask her why she mentioned the trailer sway.  We plan to keep our Blue Ox system so does anyone have any comments on handling?  We are going from two axles down to one if that means anything.

6.  Please tell me that there is just a little more storage in various floor areas even when the popup is down.  Technically that is not a question just a hope for reassurance.

7.  Who has either a T21DMHW Flagstaff or a Rockwood A214HW?  What is the difference?  Is this kind of like a Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravan comparison?  Any other concerns with these models?  For the record we really like having a latrine and shower after moving up from tent camping.

I'm sure we will have more questions.  We will miss our toyhaler and I'm already searching rental options for motorcycles when we leave the state and go camping.  We look forward to reading your replies.

When I started looking for a house the list I gave the Realtor included...

#1 no HOA

#3 NO HOA

#7 NO #$*^%^*#$ HOA!!!

She got the message. I now live in an unincorporated area of Cobb county Georgia. No city ordinances, and no HOA.

2. Why are the Aliners more expensive?  I like the style of the Rockwoods better anyway, especially with the extra storage up front.  I know that just about everything out there has wood and steel construction that will rot and rust so we will miss our Living Lite VRV so I was hoping that maybe Aliner had some special feature like all aluminum construction.

I don't have an answer for that, but just over 10 years ago we were considering an A frame and at that time it appeared that the Chalet was better built. And the 30 second open/close is pretty easy to do. Also, at that time, the Chalet had several models, including one with more storage than most.

Of course I don't know what changes have happened in the intervening years.

3.  Do A-Frames leak?  It would appear that with so many seams it may be possible.
I don't have any personal experience with that, but it seems that most things can leak under the right (wrong?) circumstances.

...sometimes a pop-up can sway when being towed.
Almost any trailer can sway, if it's not properly balanced -- it needs a minimum of about 10% of its weight on the tongue, but 12-13% is better.

6.  Please tell me that there is just a little more storage in various floor areas even when the popup is down.
I'm going by memory (fallible), but I think that a lot of the floor can serve as storage for things that aren't very high.

Sounds like you are happy with your current rig.  So sad to have to trade it because of an HOA. 

Is there anything you can do that would make it acceptable?  Maybe if you start the negotiation with the idea that you arent changing or storing your rig BUT you would be HAPPY to make it either less or visible more appealing to them they may prefer that over a fight.

What's the worst they can do?  Probably not much if you don't live in LA.  What's the judge going to do after hearing a case of theft and then your heinous crime of keeping your rig out of site on your property?

Geez if you love your rig, don't get pushed around so easily.

Just out of curiosity, is there a rule against street parking?  A few weeks there and they may change their minds.  The HOA isn't Moses and these aren't the 10 commandments,

Stephen S. said:

#1 no HOA

#3 NO HOA

#7 NO #$*^%^*#$ HOA!!!

She got the message. I now live in an unincorporated area of Cobb county Georgia. No city ordinances, and no HOA.

AMEN, I don't want some snowflake telling me what I can and can't put in my backyard.
Marvin

GA_Boy said:
AMEN, I don't want some snowflake telling me what I can and can't put in my backyard.
Marvin

Not just the back yard. Most HOAs my friends and coworkers complain about, will regulate what kind of curtains you have in your windows!!!

I don't ever want to give anyone that kind of power over me.

Our first RV was a 2004 Chalet, 15' Alpine model.  We had lots of fun with it and it never leaked. At 1350 lbs, we were able to tow with a small SUV (Honda CRV). Did not have any sway issues, didn't even know about sway bars at the time.  Ours did not have a bathroom or AC, but we carried a porta potti and used campground facilities for the most part. We had to do the climb over each other at night, and there wasn't much storage for longer trips.  Newer AFrames have higher sides which means there's an actual couch you can sit upright on along the front wall, they also have small baths.  I could barely see over the trailer in my mirror when towing, higher side models probably not.  Everythings a little low, so you'll need to get on your knees often to rummage through the fridge, get into cabinets, or find stuff stored under the bed.  After a 6 week trip, we decided to go a little bigger as we wanted to travel for a few months each winter. Its doable with A Frames, many do so, but I for us it was best used for a short week or 2 away, weekends  etc.  If you buy used, check the floors for softspots.

Good luck.

I would bet that they have no ordinance restricting trees to 6ft high.  It would take very little time for cypress to grow to 10 ft high.  You could plant 3 of these 3 ft apart and very soon make the rig invisible and offer a pleasing sight to the street.  If such trees would constrain your exit with the RV consider very large pots on a heavy duty dolly.

Stephen S. said:

#1 no HOA

#3 NO HOA

#7 NO #$*^%^*#$ HOA!!!

AMEN

How about a "Car Tent"  One (or two end to end) 12' Wide car port things like they sell at Pep-Boys et-al with sides.. Even if the sides do not go all the way to the ground they will go below the 6' fence.. And it is a "Garage" of sorts.

I could tell you what I think of those HOA rules.. but alas.. I rather like being allowed to post here.

biggersm said:
What is the worst thing anyone has ever heard of  a HOA doing as a result of non-compliance?

It's rare, and it has to stated in the bylaws, but in the extreme an HOA may be able foreclose on a property for non-compliance. We have an HOA that has that in the bylaws, but fortunately ours operates on a nearly voluntary basis and only acts in the case of complaints which are rare. Also, our Board is receptive to solutions from homeowners, and has approved every plan we have presented to them, even though some were a variance from the stated requirements. So I would agree with other posters that before you give up maybe try spending a couple grand on some mature trees or other alternatives.

Thanks for all the replies.  We are otherwise happy with our neighborhood and plan to keep this home a long time.  Not living in a HOA means living out in the middle of nowhere and my wife does not drive (we will just say for medical reasons). 

I guess the only thing we will miss is the Toyhauler part of our current RV however the nearest mountains to here (Asheville NC) has places we can rent a motorcycle for a day when I feel the need.  I just wish it was Eagle Rider since I can rent for free though a points system (closest Eagle Rider is in North Atlanta).  Also at the moment we can also take the Amtrak Auto Train from Sanford FL (near Orlando) to Lorton VA (near Wash DC) and then ride the motorcycle home (which we have done once to twice a year for the last several years).

We will make this work and of course will change our signature block at the right time.  M&M   

GA_Boy said:
Marvin

Please explain "snowflake".

HOA's do serve a purpose although I will admit that some are quite restrictive. The thing is HOA's don't crop up in the middle of the night. Folks are given a copy when they are considering buying in that neighborhood. At least they should have. We have an HOA that states we can park our boats and RV's on our property during the "season". My season runs from March to December.

Ours has reduced the time allowed in the driveway from 72 to 48 to now 24 hrs. Longer than 24, Barney Fife comes along and posts a "ticket". Ticket gets unposted and placed in the shredder.  ;D ;)

We live in a neighborhood with an HOA and I am actually on the board. My advice is if you do not want someone telling you what color curtains you can have in your windows or where to park your RV, etc.  do not buy a house in a neighborhood with an Hoa.  Hoa's are supposed to work for the benefit of the homeowners to keep up property values.  Having said all that, we are moving to Florida next spring and we will be looking for a home without an Hoa because we would love to park our RV on our property.  Most hoa covenants do not allow for that.  Hate that you are having to trade down. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom