EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Neighborhood association says to trade down...  (Read 2273 times)

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
Re: Neighborhood association says to trade down...
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
Thanks to all for even more updates.  We are preparing to do a trade in for a Rockwood A214HW at Lazydays.  After all is done we will still have to pay some money but it is a fair deal.

Actually one of these days we would like to move to a Class C and tow the motorcycle however we are already too busy maintaining our yard as it is.   

Oldgator - We have a great deal in common.  I am also a retired USAF MSgt and still working as a USAF Civilian at Patrick AFB.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

Whoops, lost what I wrote so I will try it again. We often stop at Patrick FAMCAMP on our way home. We love the FAMCAMP there and of course the Commissary and BX plus we have several friends in the area. I am also a MSgt retired USAF plus taught school for 20 years and retired from that. I hope that your trade solves the problem making for many years of happy camping.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

biggersm

• ---
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »
Whoops, lost what I wrote so I will try it again. We often stop at Patrick FAMCAMP on our way home. We love the FAMCAMP there and of course the Commissary and BX plus we have several friends in the area. I am also a MSgt retired USAF plus taught school for 20 years and retired from that. I hope that your trade solves the problem making for many years of happy camping.

On your way out to the FAMCAMP you pass right by my office.  I'm about a block east of Rescue Road where it says Emergency Management.
Mike and Marcia
Flagstaff T21DMHW
Toyota Highlander
Honda Goldwing

biggersm

• ---
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
I hope this string has not lasted too long and that someone might open it again and answer a question I have below.

First we have an update to our situation.  Marcia says that she really doesn't want to grow and maintain a jungle so we are either back to storing outside (about $900 a year) storing at indoor storage (at least $1500 a year as of over a year ago) or going back to a version of a popup or A-frame.  I know that if we have our RV stored somewhere else than we would not take care of it as well as would here.

There is another dealer who has a Flagstaff 28TSCS (or you could call it a Rockwood 282 TESP since they are identical twins) that has some rather weird specifications:

Unloaded vehicle weight = 3377
Base dry hitch weight = 221
Base dry axle weight = 3318

This would work for us since it can also be considered a Toyhauler and the deck it just large enough for our Goldwing (however I would wait until we get a larger tow vehicle before attempting to toy with something on the deck since I'm sure that would put the total tongue weight over our 500 pound tow vehicle limit).

My question is whether it is safe to have a tongue weight that is less than 10%? I'm wondering why Forest River did this?  I guess we could put a couple bicycles up there plus a few other things every time we tow if necessary to get it up over 10%.

By the way, do those rails (or call them walls) come down when loading that deck?
Mike and Marcia
Flagstaff T21DMHW
Toyota Highlander
Honda Goldwing

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
Yes, I go right past your office on the way in. You got our ARS squadron up there after hurricane Andrew. I try to stop there on our way home to stock up on some things. I retired in 1979 and stayed here at Homestead.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

biggersm

• ---
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
Just a follow up to this story.  Looks like we will have to change our signature block.  As of this weekend we will tow our Toyhauler over to Ocala and pickup a Flagstaff T21DMWH (which is an identical twin to the Rockwell 214 we talked about earlier).  We will miss taking the Goldwing up to the mountains but between rental motorcycles, an occasional trip on the Auto Train and just a quick trip involving motels we will still get some riding in the mountains.

Our concerns with the T21DMHW include not having a gray tank and only a 6 gallon black water cassette but we have done some planning and perhaps this will be liberating.  We plan to first see what the dealer will give us for equipment and then based on that we will buy a 10 gallon tote and then we can drive or walk over and dump when camping at the Florida state parks (which generally don't have sewer at the individual sites).  No more disconnecting in the middle of a campout and no more worry about cleaning black or gray tanks.

We have kind of got used to having two axels so it was always easy to use the X-chocks so we will have to get used to just chocking using blocks with our new single axle.  Also hoping that sway or any other control problem does not occur (the Living Lite 6 x 15 was actually quite easy to tow with the Highlander).  Security is an issue too but we have a long cable lock and we can secure bikes, chairs etc. and hope for the best.

Things we look forward to include hard walls on all sides (the Living Lite toyhualer had a pop-out  bed).  I have heard that some campsites that are prone to bears require hard sides.   We look forward to floors that are a little warmer to walk on than aluminum.  We look forward to seeing out of windows on all four sides.  I kind of like the corner jacks better (screw down jacks on all four corners of our new RV rather than two of the jacks just being a swing down leg like on the old RV).

Does anyone want to share their stories concerning their experience with Flagstaff (or Forest River)?  Any interesting A-Frame concerns?  We will post any concerns over on the Popup sub board.

Happy trails, M&M

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:47:54 PM by biggersm »
Mike and Marcia
Flagstaff T21DMHW
Toyota Highlander
Honda Goldwing

blw2

• ---
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
yeah, I used to have a Rockwood popup, and spent a lot of time over at popupexplorer back in the day.
We enjoyed it, but the tent camper wasn't for us.  Back then, those A frames were becoming much more popular.  Seems like they would be better than a tent pup in many ways!

Yours looks nifty...I haven't seen one of those with a dormer yet.  Nice!

I used to use a blue aquatainer for grey water.... 6 gallons I think it is...bought at walmart.

As far as leveling, I used one of those BAL single axle levelers.  Made easy work of it.  In fact if you are close to Saint Johns County in FL PM me....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
I have a friend who just bought their first camper - a small A frame from Forest River. They have taken it on a few excursions so far, and they just love it. They only needed something for short trips, 3-4 days, just the two of them (kids up and gone). They like not having to worry about bears here in the west, and they like that it is so easy to tow. It fits in even the small FS campgrounds where our trailer can't.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Hosted by Over The Network