AT&T Mobley is available again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob T said:
Are you thinking that AT&T will cancel this plan for everyone that currently has it?

Those of us who were lucky enough to get on the $20/mo plan are on 2 year contracts, after that AT&T can raise the rates if it chooses. Would be nice if they continued the plan at that point but who knows. Could be in another year or two there will be other competing unlimited data plans.

I was able to get on the program in August.
Did not commit to contract because I bought the unit out right.
Since I live in Canada I can't use at home but planned to have for travel and snowbirding starting winter of 2018.
My plan was to keep plan live even though not using for longer periods.

I have no experience with At&T, but would hope they will keep plan alive for those that are signed up regardless of contracts.

I think Scott is right. They would probably leave the device active and just bump the price to whatever they need to make it profitable. That is after all their main objective.

Historically, AT&T has grandfathered in existing plans for the most part, although as said, they do reserve the right to change their pricing without notice. Worst case, I'm hoping they'll just drop back to the original $40 price, which would still be a good deal.

SargeW said:
Yep, I would still buy it at that price.  I would guess though that chances are a data cap would be part of any new plans.

I would probably drop it at $40 with a cap. I consider it a luxury and would just fall back on my 3G for more essential web activities and wait for the next promo. Already over $1400/yr at home for internet (no cable TV), don?t need to spend another $500/yr. For a full-timer it?s a good deal.

Sun2Retire said:
Those of us who were lucky enough to get on the $20/mo plan are on 2 year contracts, after that AT&T can raise the rates if it chooses. Would be nice if they continued the plan at that point but who knows. Could be in another year or two there will be other competing unlimited data plans.

Those of us who paid for our Mobleys are not on a contract so we may be the first to get a change.

Hope Not!

The other  BIG benefit for me is comparing AT&T data coverage to Verizon this summer. AT&T was as good if not better than VZW so I will be ready to drop the very expensive plan we are on when our current obligation are met.

Jeff said:
The other  BIG benefit for me is comparing AT&T data coverage to Verizon this summer. AT&T was as good if not better than VZW so I will be ready to drop the very expensive plan we are on when our current obligation are met.

I've compared over 25 locations and AT&T was faster in more than 2/3s of the locations. Several locations in Alaska Verizon was only good for voice, but AT&T had very good 3g service. Our current location north of Albuquerque shows ATT at 22MB and Verizon at 9MB.

ken

I like my Mobley (especially the price) but have had a few instances were it didn't connect. I bought a WeBoost to help the Mobley connect but haven't tried it yet.
I just wish I could get more than 5 devices connected to it. Many WiFi as WAN options but I've heard that slows down the Mobley. Would like to connect a router via the Mobley's USB but options seem limited.

[quote author=timjet]I just wish I could get more than 5 devices connected to it.[/quote]

Forum Staffer Jeff alerted me to the option of using a small TP-Link Nano router with the Mobley. Works fine when we have 3 grandkids and 2-4 adults wanting to connect, some with 2 devices each.

>>Many WiFi as WAN options but I've heard that slows down the Mobley<<

I had this problem with an old Craddlepoint MBR95. The speed of a WIFI signal (not just Mobley) could be cut by 50% on "rebroadcast".
I just replaced it with a Pepwave surf SOHO and it has almost no loss using WIFI as WAN.

ken

Tom said:
Forum Staffer Jeff alerted me to the option of using a small TP-Link Nano router with the Mobley. Works fine when we have 3 grandkids and 2-4 adults wanting to connect, some with 2 devices each.
Tom, how difficult was this to configure with the Mobley?
Did you notice any slow down?
I would like to increase both the security and number of connectiuons that I can get from the mobley. Particularily for online banking/bill paying.
Between us, we would possibly have 6 connections icluding TV (tv seems to always stay connected even when off) just that one additional connection that causes problems.
Did Jeff give any specific instructions?
Thanks

[quote author=Bob T]...how difficult was this to configure with the Mobley?[/quote]

As far as I recall, it was quite simple with their illustrated instructions.

Did you notice any slow down?

I don't recall checking speeds but, in any event, the Mobley sees the TP-Link as one device, and you can still connect directly via one of Mobley's 4 other allowed connections.

I would like to increase both the security and number of connectiuons that I can get from the mobley. Particularily for online banking/bill paying.

Irrespective of the connection, for any online banking you need to use secure, encrypted connections and strong passwords. Other than that, I'm not sure how you'd "increase security". FWIW I use strong, secure passwords for everything, and use the KeyPass app to auto-type (or copy/paste) user names and passwords, because there's no way I could remember any of them.

Between us, we would possibly have 6 connections icluding TV

We could have 8-10 devices online concurrently, some direct to Mobley and others via TP-Link. The grandkids are typically all watching online videos.

Did Jeff give any specific instructions?

No, but they were not needed, given the instructions in the box.

Thank you Tom.
Expect I will place the order tonight.
Appreciate the info.

If you buy it via Amazon, you can always return it if you're not happy with it.

:))
That is the way I ordered.
Personally, I've never ordered Amazon but my son has Prime and he placed order for me.
Thanks again

You're welcome Bob, although the thanks belong to Jeff. Let us know how it works out.

Sorry I didn't have any speed info for you. We've been home (on cable) for several months.

It looks like the Nano is a WiFi as WAN only device. I don't see how you could tether it to a Mobley.

Here's the TP-Link nano I have. It's a wireless N router and connects fine to the Mobley, and allows us to connect multiple devices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom