AT&T Mobley is available again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Here's the TP-Link nano I have. It's a wireless N router and connects fine to the Mobley, and allows us to connect multiple devices.

Thanks Tom. I have heard from several sources that connecting some routers to the Mobley via WiFi as WAN (wirelessly) is a slower connection than a hard wired connection from the Mobley to the router. Maybe the nano is an exception. 

Tim, I have no data on speed. The Nano may well slow things down but, at any point in time, I might be connected via Nano or direct to Mobley. Our primary need for more than Mobley's 5 connections is when we're at our town home in OH and we have 3 nearby grandkids staying over. Each of the kids can have 1 or 2 devices online at the same time. I'll pay more attention next time we're there, but it will be a while; My other half just had surgery with another to follow, so we decided we'd skip our winter sojourn this year, and hopefully return during school summer recess.

Separately, while at our place in WY we have local cable Internet (no ATT service) with a router in an outbuilding. The wireless connection to that router is hopeless, so I ran a 50 foot network cable to connect the router to the Nano in the coach, and all was well. Again, I don't recall if I took speed measurements or what the results were, but my wife and I were both streaming videos.

Here at our S&B primary residence, we have Comcast Cable internet, so no need for Mobley or Nano. FWIW I recently dropped T-mobile service after 12 or more years. They no longer provided any advantage over my other services, and ATT was half the monthly price.

Thanks Tom, too bad the nano doesn't have a USB plug for WAN teathering to the Mobley. But it sounds like the nano using WiFi as WAN is working well for you.

[quote author=timjet]... too bad the nano doesn't have a USB plug for WAN teathering to the Mobley.[/quote]

Sorry Tim, I may be confused ... but just for clarification, connection to Mobley is wireless only; It doesn't have a USB plug to connect to the Nano or any other device. So what would be the advantage of a USB plug on the Nano?

Tom said:
Sorry Tim, I may be confused ... but just for clarification, connection to Mobley is wireless only; It doesn't have a USB plug to connect to the Nano or any other device. So what would be the advantage of a USB plug on the Nano?

The Mobley actually has a USB receptacle, it is hidden behind a plastic cover on the same side as the reset button. Look for a little square cover, it is glued over the receptacle. I use a mini USB cable (same as the newer phone charger cables) to plug it into a GL.inet router and use the Mobley tethered instead of using the WISP protocol.
Connecting the Mobley tethered to a router does not slow communication down and has less interference with other 2Ghz devices.

GL.inet router on Amazon $35 (2017): LINK: GL.inet router on Amazon

[quote author=DutchEagle]Look for a little square cover, it is glued over the receptacle.[/quote]

Thanks Dutch. Glued is the right word  ???

I don't need to buy another router (I have several laying around here somewhere), but maybe the other participants will find the info useful.

My Mobley also tethers nicely to my Cradlepoint MBR-95 router. The only downside with it is that tethering seems to interfere with the WiFi direct side connecting to the Internet. There may be a setting on the Mobley for that, but I haven't found it yet. It's not a big issue though, since the Cradlepoint allows up to 255 connected devices. ;)

[quote author=NY_Dutch]My Mobley also tethers nicely to my Cradlepoint MBR-95 router.[/quote]

Good to know. I have an MBR-95 around here somewhere; Haven't seen it in a while  ???

Tom said:
Good to know. I have an MBR-95 around here somewhere; Haven't seen it in a while  ???

Heh! Well, I knew where my MBR-95 was, but it took some digging to find my older CTR-350 that was mentioned as working with the Mobley, but I couldn't get it to work tethered. My Pepwave Surf Mini On-The-Go doesn't work tethered to the Mobley either, but I'll work with the tech folks at Peplink on that one.

I am doing USB Tethering on my Mobley using the cheaper GL iNet MT300N-V2 $20 on amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TSK26W

Good morning Tom, as others have mentioned the Mobley can be tether to a router via it's USB port. The cover on the Mobley's USB port makes it almost invisible. I'm no techie but as I've learned here and on other forums it seems that a router wired to a modem like the Mobley provides faster downloads and uploads than a wireless connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a router that will connect to a modem via a wireless connection is called a WiFi as WAN. It seems the big names in the business charge a bundle for these because they are not common ways of connecting a router to a modem so it's a nitch market. For me I got a Mobley because the plan is cheap and I don't want to spend a bundle to allow the Mobley to connect to more than 5 devices. There are cheap WiFi as WAN routers on Amazon and Isaac-1 posted one and went to great lengths getting it to connect tethered to the Mobley. He even posted the step by step instruction on another forum.

But it's been my experience with cheap Chinese electronics that they don't last or require constant fiddling to keep working. Sometimes the instructions if any with these things leave more than a lot to be desired. And their grammar can be comical. I haven't decided which router I'm going to get and it sounds like the nano has served you well.

Isaac-1 said:
I am doing USB Tethering on my Mobley using the cheaper GL iNet MT300N-V2 $20 on amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TSK26W

Isaac, could you post the steps you took to tether your Mobley to your GL here? Or a link to the forum where you've already posted them? Thanks!

The travel router arrived today. TP-Link TL-WR802N.
Connected to my iphone personal hotspot to check out.
Works well and easy to set up.
Speeds as follows:
Direct tether to phone download 6.56 Mbps , upload 5.05 Mbps
Connected to tp link download 6.39 Mbps, upload 3.16 Mbps

Nothing wrong with those numbers.
Also tested again connected to phone and the wired ethernet connection, both worked well at same time.
Had to do all through phone because in Canada the Mobley will not connect. I
Just getting ready for travel in spring.
Tom, thanks for sharing router info.
Bob

Tom, thanks for sharing router info.

You're welcome Bob. As I said, credit is due to Jeff. Thanks for sharing the results. I wonder if someone has comparative results with a router hooked to Mobley via USB  :-[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom