How did this guy predict this RV crash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VGS

I was viewing some slide out animations and found this RV crash video.

How did the guy filming predict this RV crash?

Maybe he saw the trailer tip a bit (roll) and then started filming?  Or a kind of yaw or fishtail?

Could this have been anticipated by the driver of the crashed RV and avoided?

What types of RV could this happen to?

Comments seem to say tractor-trailer trucks.  How about busses or Class A, C?

I read some comments a while back that said there were very strong, gusty winds causing the trailer to yaw sideways, so the guy started filming.

The biggest fault I saw was the use of a simple ball hitch, so the trailer was free to pivot on the single point ball.  When the trailer went over the truck remained upright, with only the safety chain keeping it connected to the trailer.

Yes, the truck was a dually but without an equalizing hitch to transmit some of the truck's stability back to the trailer the wide track of the dually is irrelevant.

An equalizing hitch would have provided more resistance against the trailer tipping.  A sway control bar would have provided resistance against the trailer yawing out of line when the gusts hit it.

Whether a proper hitch setup would have prevented this accident is hard to say, but it sure wouldn't have hurt.

Some people have dash cameras that run all the time the engine runs.. So if something happens in front of them.. Evidence.

and as Lou said.. Wind conditions, observation of what the RV was doing, and such can give you a clue it is time to "Back off" a mile or so just in cuss.

Having tipped a travel trailer over at one time (back in 1977), I can attest that an equalizing hitch doesn't help much. After all, it is design the transfer weight forward, not to stabilize the tow. The types with built-in anti-sway may have some effect, but it can only do so much.

That scary experience has undoubtedly made me conservative about towing and led me to become a leading member of the Weight Police.

So a Class A would have been safer than the towable types in this case?

Some people have dash cameras that run all the time the engine runs..

John, if you look carefully at the video, you can see that it is held by an unsteady hand in the back seat, one that doesn't know how to compensate for motion, not dash mounted.

The prediction came from seeing the trailer starting to sway.  If the sway is not quickly brought under control, the end is exactly what happened.  Sometimes the trailer will dump the tow vehicle on its side as well.

One way to stop the sway is to manually apply the trailer brakes.  The trailer brake controller, usually mounted on the lower part of the dash, by the drivers knees has a lever you can grab to apply the brakes.

Possible cause is not enough weight in the front of the trailer.  About 10% of the total weight of a travel trailer should be on the hitch.  I think for 5th wheels it should be 12-15%.

About safety, a properly loaded and hitched travel trailer is not dangerous. 

Talk about dangerous, hit something with the front of a class A motorhome and see what happens.  Nothing there to protect the driver and passenger.  We have a class A and accept the risk. 

And, in a Class A, don't leave your carving knives in a countertop knife block or a hot crock pot sitting on the counter.  When you stop fast, everything that's loose in the rear is free to catch up with you.  :eek:

That was also an extremely long bumper pull trailer, like 40+ feet. It looks a lot like a Jayco Bungalow destination trailer that I used to have. It looks like they were still moving along at a pretty good clip. Add their speed to the speed of wind and you have a great deal of force working on that huge sail behind the truck. I wonder if it was being delivered. Usually those types of trailers are not moved around much.

lone_star_dsl said:
Other than not driving on such a windy day, there's not much that would have prevented it from blowing over.

I think this *IS* the way to prevent it from happening. Knowing when it is time to pull over, and set up camp for the night, even if that is on the side of the road or on a utility access road or something. I don't know any police officer that will become upset if you pull over for emergency safety reasons to let a storm pass. It's better to be a day late and not lose $50k on your rig, or be dead...

Edit: I'm not retired or anything, I have very short windows to enjoy my RV and work full time in an office. My kids are in school. I.e. it would really screw up our family operations, job, school, etc. to need to spend an extra night on the side of a road. But sometimes it is worth it, and I think you need to mentally prepare yourself ahead of time, so you can make that call when you need to.

Back
Top Bottom