PA to Sout Dakota - Custer. Do I really need to avoid Chicago and how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I will be taking route 80 across Pennsylvania.  When do things flatten out?  I am guessing mid-Ohio?

The road "flattens out" about the time you reach Ohio.  There may be some rolling hills but nothing like in eastern and central Pennsylvania.  Can't tell you about conditions around Chicago.  It was pretty bad with huge construction projects for a couple of years but I think those are completed.  Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

ArdraF

Do check about detours and construction, it was a bit nasty coming east a few weeks ago.

Road construction doesn't stop, it just moves. Chicago is like any other city, it's all about timing.  I-80 shouldn't be too bad outside of rush hours, but it can get backed up for sure.  You can take I-80 W to I-39 N to avoid the city, or take the I-294 or I-355 options. 

KandT
Although it's not "necessary" to bypass Chicago... to save time when traveling west we always take I-80 out of Indiana... to 1-39  north in Illinois... to I-94 west in Wisconsin.

ip076 said:
Road construction doesn't stop, it just moves. Chicago is like any other city, it's all about timing.  I-80 shouldn't be too bad outside of rush hours, but it can get backed up for sure.  You can take I-80 W to I-39 N to avoid the city, or take the I-294 or I-355 options.

Like most cities, if you go thru about 9am on a Sunday morning, traffic will most likely be light and construction at a lull.  We heard horror stories about SLC during the week but on Sunday morning, very light traffic and we sailed thru without even a ripple.  Same for Dallas/Ft. Worth and Atlanta.

Just remember that the speed limit for all vehicles with toads or trailers is 55 mph through Illinois. The Chicago area specializes in speed cameras, and the ticket cost is very high. Don't even think about exceeding the posted speed by even 1 mph.

I always try to go through Chicago between 10 and 2. It isn't fun even then, but better than other times. It always seems like the entire city is a construction zone.

Definitely flattens out in western Pa.

Alternatively you can take the 39N route (as suggested).

When we head out that way we are staying west on 80 and north on 29 to 90.  I think it was an hour longer.
Works for me.

UTTransplant said:
Just remember that the speed limit for all vehicles with toads or trailers is 55 mph through Illinois.

UTTransplant
Apparently you haven't driven in Illinois for quite awhile.
The speed limit for vehicles pulling trailers or toads in Illinois, (NOT through Chicago), is now 70 mph on rural interstates, (NOT through Chicago)... 65 mph on other 4 lane divided highways, and 55 mph on all other highways.

mel s said:
UTTransplant
Apparently you haven't driven in Illinois for quite awhile.
The speed limit for vehicles pulling trailers or toads in Illinois, (NOT through Chicago), is now 70 mph on rural interstates, (NOT through Chicago)... 65 mph on other 4 lane divided highways, and 55 mph on all other highways.
Thanks! I used to live in Iowa, and I stopped going to places in Illinois because of their previous speed limits for trailers. I looked up the change in the law (2014) and found this quote from an IDOT spokesperson:

"?Under the new law, large trucks can continue to travel at the same posted speed limit as automobiles except in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties, where the statutes restrict them to a maximum of 55 mph or the posted speed, whichever is less,? IDOT spokeswoman Paris Ervin said."

That exception seems to cover most of the Chicago area. At least it is better than it used to be.

I would try to stay off the toll roads thru Chicago.  Seemed like a booth every other mile and they get a pretty penny every time.  And we were only pulling a small TT. 

Been through Chicago 4 weeks ago and only slowed down for IN toll way booth. This was on a Wednesday. Avoid all  IL toll roads. I always try to hit that area between 10 & 2:30 if on a week day or Sunday mornings. Usually go through there twice a year and hate it, but to miss it you really have to go out of your way.

If you decide to go thru Chicago, first get an ez-pass, then I would take I80 to 294 to 290 to I90.  I try midday or after 8pm.  We got thru there at least two times a year.  Staying on I80 to I39 is longer route but less traffic and fewer toll booths.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom