Camping in New Jersey visiting New York city

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarheel5

We are wanting to visit New York City multiple days  any suggestions on campgrounds and locations in order to avoid tight spots with 30 foot trailer? Also routes to avoid as we are traveling from west Michigan to New York City area and on to D.C.

So will you be driving into NYC each day, taking a bus or train?

Something like this may be the easiest, but pricey.
http://www.libertyharborrv.com/rates

On a side note, Jersey city isn't exactly the nicest town, although I imagine they keep areas like this well patrolled due to tourism. 

Also since you are from Michigan you may not be familiar with NJ weapons laws.  No weapons in your RV of any kind if you tend to travel with a gun, knife, or even pepper spray. Just about everything in NJ is illegal even a slingshot......not kidding.

M daughter just came back from NJ and say the roads are horrible.

Where are you staying in DC?  Maybe you can avoid some of the worst traffic.

We stayed at Liberty Harbor in Jersey City last year with a 43' MH and car.  It was so convenient to NYC, we bought the subway pass and walked the 4 blocks to the train every day. Never used the car the entire 5 days.  One day we walked one block and caught the ferry out to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  Liberty Harbor is nothing but a parking lot with W/E hookups and good security.  In all the walking we did around there and in NYC, we never felt uncomfortable.  It was great and we hope to go back next year..
Sheila

Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City is the way to go.  Jersey City, Weehawken, Hoboken and the other towns along the river have all been gentrified for about 10-15 blocks from the river inward.  The highway area is where it starts to go down hill.  Drive in from the West or Northwest and stay on main numbered roads until you reach the campground.

There is a water ferry to Manhattan next to the campground on weekdays.  There are NJ path trains nearby.

Thanks for all of your input, we saw  liberty harbor and were considering staying there. In D.C. Thinking of Cherry hill. Any suggestions on travel routes ? We will use public transportation in both cities to navigate sightseeing.

I have lived in NJ my entire life and will tell you, once you get past the middle of the state either via the parkway or the turnpike a MH or TT is not something you want to have. If you pull off one location you can be stuck trying to turn around. Your best bet to stay someplace below route 195 on the east cost and take a bus up to the the city. It's the cheapest way. Getting over the bridges and tunnels is costly, parking is another nightmare. You would be lucky to pay $20 per day and that's for a car. Most places are not going to be able to handle a MH TT. Also low overpasses could be a major problem but if you stay on the interstates you will be fine as trucks are constantly on them.

Do not stay here
Surf & Stream Campground. I live right down the road from them and even though the website looks great. The park is pretty much a fulltimer park. Many of the MH are covered with tarps to prevent water leaks. I have drove into it just to see if it would be a nice place to stay for a 5 min drive and well as I said I would not stay there.

Cedar Creek Campground
This place looks really nice. About 10 mins from me and my sister has stay there. She says, it's clean, friendly and very nice. Also you can catch a bus about 5 min drive north on route 9 that will take you directly into NYC. From that route you would not have to worry about low clearances as there are none. Also you could from that location, if you decided to drive the MH to the beach (about 15 mins east). If you or anyone in your family is military, active, retired, guard etc. Island Beach state park is beautiful and you can get on for free. But that beach fills up fast and they close the gates about 1030 am. That is a really nice beach, you would think you were in Mexico not NJ.

As for any northern locations Liberty Harbor in Jersey City is the place. It's not that hard to get to. But keep in mind their only selling the location to get into NYC. If you decided to do something else you would have to leave. But what is nice, is that everything is right there. Statue, park etc. It's a fast paced trip, hustle and bustle. If you look up that park on google and go to images you will see it's pretty much a parking lot with W/S/E. very close parking.

http://www.livebreathemove.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/nycl1.jpg

Tarheel 5, search this forum for Liberty Harbor.  There were somewhat recent discussions about routes. 

I would also check out

Croton Point Park
1A Croton Point Ave.
Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520
(914) 862-5290
crotonpointpark.com

It's cheaper and the facilities are nicer with more space, but you do have to take the Metro North train into Grand Station in mid town Manhattan.  You can also check out some beautiful small towns along the Hudson River too.

The first picture is from Liberty RV park about two months ago.  The building in the background is the same one under construction in the previous post.

In the second picture you can see One World Trade Center.

The 3rd picture is from One World Trade Center looking across the Hudson towards the campground.

Attachments

• 20170506_085658_resized.jpg
    20170506_085658_resized.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170506_085619_resized.jpg
    20170506_085619_resized.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170506_114646_resized.jpg
    20170506_114646_resized.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Members online