EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Windos 10 desktop reboots itself  (Read 208 times)

Lowell

• ---
Windos 10 desktop reboots itself
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »
My HP desk top PC frequently reboots and I lose whatever I am doing.  Most often it's not critical as it happens most when I am looking at Facebook or playing free poker.  But I have no idea why it does it.  I was updating my GPS today which took about 90 minutes.  Fortunately, I made it through that just before it rebooted itself again.  Any ideas on anything I can check or do?
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

DWJoyce

• ---
Re: Windos 10 desktop reboots itself
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
Turn off Windows Update, or at least make it ask when to perform a reboot.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »
When I go to control panel, I don't see the same options that you showed.  But I did see one I could turn on to notify before restarting.  Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:49:57 PM by Lowell »
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
Your computers Bios may be set to auto-reboot in the event of a power glitch. Typical BIOS options for such situations are a simple shut-down or Reboot.

If you were using Windows 7, there is an "auto reboot after system failure" option in Control Panel, but I don't see that in Win 10.

Of course, in either of these situations it would mean your system is suffering some sort of failure, either internal or external, so you have a problem whether it re-boots or not.

Windows Update won't reboot without warning, so I don't think that is it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:18:20 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

regval

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »
What Gary said....

In my experience, the most common problem with a symptom of unscheduled rebooting in a DESKTOP is associated with the main power supply becoming overheated. The power supply has an internal fan and it can become clogged with dust or just fail. Inspect the power supply fan. Where is it? Just follow the power cord connection to the desktop. The power cord is usually detachable and it plugs into the power supply.
Other components within the computer that require adequate cooling can also contribute, so yank a panel off and inspect.
I blow mine out twice a year using compressed air ( I have 4 desktop servers). I disconnect them, take them to the garage and using my garage air supply, just get all of the dust out of everything, paying special attention to the power supplies, cpu cooler fans and graphic cards.

Good Luck,
Reggie
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer
Lawrenceville, GA

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

Hosted by Over The Network