2000 Coachmen 37.5 diesel pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smelt62

Any thoughts on the pluses/minuses of a 2000 Coachmen 37.5 diesel pusher, about 70,000 miles, 5.9 liter Cummins turbodiesel? I'm considering a purchase. It apparently has been sitting for 1-2 years.

Thanks very much.

I have the 2000 Coachmen Santara with the same engine set up. Mine had 50k miles when I bought it. The exhaust manifold was cracked. The parts were 700 Canadian and took the better part of a day to replace. Might be worth checking. Otherwise not too bad. My previous Winnebago seemed to have a few more luxuries than this one, but this one has a few it didnt. Preferred the full fibreglass roof on the Winne compared to the rubber roof on the Santara. Got a great deal on the Santara so moving up to the pusher was a no brainer. I think by and large Coachmen is a lower end manufacturer. I think the quality on the Winnebago was higher.

Thanks - I may be able to get a good deal on the coachmen, which may outweigh some of the other negatives.  I just wanted to see if there were any common, serious problems with the model that I didn't know about.

Some of the 5.9's of that era were made in Brazil.
You don't want a cracked block, which they are known for.
I have been doing the same research.

I would pass. The Coachman of that era is not a well built unit . Nor is that early 5.9  powerful. Look for something a little newer and stay away from Coachman. The 02 Bounders have a 300 HP Cummins and nice floor plans

moisheh said:
I would pass. The Coachman of that era is not a well built unit . Nor is that early 5.9  powerful. Look for something a little newer and stay away from Coachman. The 02 Bounders have a 300 HP Cummins and nice floor plans
I dont find the 5.9 lacking in power. It is faster than my 2000 37g gas winnebago, and pulls hills better.  As far as I know, it has 300 hp and the Alison 3030 tranny which is the desired 6 speed. They say 100 lbs per hp is a good ratio. The coach weighs around 25000 lbs and has 300 hp. That makes it better than a 50000 lb coach with a 500 hp.  Its a freightliner chassis with a tried and true engine and tranny, the exact same as many higher end ones. The differences between some of the higher end ones are in the house aspect, and quality of materials used. The engines that had block problems had a 53 stamped into the block, on the drivers side near the front of the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom