Do RV parks allow vans (not class B vans, just regular vans) to stay in RV lots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e6fan12345

Hello everyone, due to many circumstances, mainly to get a fresh start, I'm relocating from Kentucky to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, somewhere I've always wanted to be.

I'm very new to the RV lifestyle. I've read a couple really good books about it in the last month, but overall I'm pretty much a complete newbie to it.

While I have *some* money saved up, I don't have enough to get an RV. My plan is to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale, buy a used van and get insurance for it and all that, and then stay temporarily in it (2 to 3 months) at an RV park until I can get up enough money and then switch to a decent used RV.

Of course, my question is do RV parks allow regular vans in their lots as they allow RVs to? I'll pay the monthly fee for my space and everything, but I don't know if they allow regular vans to stay there.

Any help is very much appreciated.

The only way to find out is find a park and call them. IMHO if the van is in good shape and not a rust bucket destined for a junk yard soon, I don't see why not. Now the higher priced campgrounds, probably not.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Some do and some don't
Some are so "high class" that they don't even let travel trailers under 25 feet in and some don't let older trailers in.

Your best bet is like the post above says; just call ahead.

Jack L

Nobody is going to inspect your van inside to see if it is equipped as an RV or not. Just say you have a van-conversion RV when & if the park asks the RV type.

Why Ft Lauderdale?  RV parks are relatively few in the Ft Lauderdale area, and rather pricey as well.  They don't call that "Florida's Gold Coast" for nothing!  You would have better prospects in other parts of Florida that are less upscale, crowded and expensive. 

I appreciate all the responses and help.

I had thought about calling but I was afraid of being laughed off the phone because - to them - it may have been a dumb question.

"Why Ft Lauderdale?  RV parks are relatively few in the Ft Lauderdale area, and rather pricey as well.  They don't call that "Florida's Gold Coast" for nothing!  You would have better prospects in other parts of Florida that are less upscale, crowded and expensive."

I want to live in Ft. Lauderdale for several reasons. I vacationed there a couple yr's back and loved the area. Another reason is that I'm a huge Mets fan and it's very close to Miami, and the Mets play there 9 to 12 times a year.

e6fan12345 said:
Hello everyone, due to many circumstances, mainly to get a fresh start, I'm relocating from Kentucky to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, somewhere I've always wanted to be.

I'm very new to the RV lifestyle. I've read a couple really good books about it in the last month, but overall I'm pretty much a complete newbie to it.

While I have *some* money saved up, I don't have enough to get an RV. My plan is to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale, buy a used van and get insurance for it and all that, and then stay temporarily in it (2 to 3 months) at an RV park until I can get up enough money and then switch to a decent used RV.

Of course, my question is do RV parks allow regular vans in their lots as they allow RVs to? I'll pay the monthly fee for my space and everything, but I don't know if they allow regular vans to stay there.

Any help is very much appreciated.

If you are living in it and maintain your site I can see no problem but ask first.  Afterall, people stay in tents and they are no more permanent than a van.  Question:  Will the van have hookups for elec and water?  Even if not you could use the campground faciities but it would seem electric would be almost a necessity.  Good luck.

Bill

http://www.broward.org/Parks/MarkhamPark/Pages/Default.aspx 

That is a really nice RV park, we've stayed there a couple times. Very nice people.

Give them a call and ask, I'm sure they won't laugh you off the phone.

Keep in mind the sooner you make reservations in Florida the better it is. The place fills up with snowbirds quickly.

Keeping in mind I have not been to Ft. Lauderdale in 25 years, and I don't know how much it has changed ( I suspect a lot).  But back in the early 90's I spent a couple of months down there doing training for work and lived in a bit of a ran down condo (former 1950's motel painted flamingo pink backing onto a marina , but in a fairly good part of the city, 100 yards from the beach, on the beach side of the intracoastal waterway) and the rent was not that bad, only a little higher than I was paying for a 25 year old 2 bedroom apartment in Alabama at the time, of course it was half the size or less, 1 room with a kitchenette, crank open windows with missing glass slats, and a loud clunky window air conditioner ....  I don't know if such places still exist there, but if they do it may be worth investigating vs the high prices to stay in a south Florida RV park without a real RV.

"Question:  Will the van have hookups for elec and water?  Even if not you could use the campground faciities but it would seem electric would be almost a necessity.  Good luck.

Bill"

No. In all of the researching of RV'ing/camping/van dwelling that I've done in the last month I've read a little about solar panels and I've also read about people having a seperate battery in their van for charging their phone, and other miscellaneous things. Of course, with it being South Florida I would need to have A/C. 

With solar panels and all that, while I've read a little on it, will be my main focus of research for the next week or two.

Back
Top Bottom