Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile Sprint: ALL down simultaneously?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VallAndMo

Hello everyone,

According to CBS News:
Cellphone, internet outages reported across the U.S.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cell-phone-internet-outages-reported-across-the-u-s/

Is this true? Has anyone here been affected? We can't tell as we're currently overseas...

If true, it's nothing short of shameful: all cellphone carriers depending on a single fiber is simply inexcusable (each carrier should have its own communications network, and each one should have a backup line, be it another separate fiber routed through another location, a microwave link, or whatever...).

(Vall is an old-time telecom guy and is astonished if that's the current way of doing business).

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

This USA Today article seems to be a bit more balanced. Including this last paragraph that reflects my experiences with the "DownDetector" site:

"Downdetector works by using crowdsourced data from social media posts to extrapolate the size and severity of outages. This could potentially explain this instance, where a few small outages are amplified across social media, making them seem larger than they actually were."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/06/19/sprint-verizon-and-att-outages-monday/103016290/

My Verizon is down to three bars for the last two weeks which makes loading pages much slower than usual. Normally it is full.....in central florida

you either have Verizon....or sometimes you don't have a phone.

I have friends with the other carriers and it's amazing how often that 1% difference in coverage shows up... ;)

NY_Dutch said:
"where a few small outages are amplified across social media, making them seem larger than they actually were."

I hate social media (except this forum of course ;) )

No problems with Verizon here in northern MT with 1-2.5Mbps on 3G mifi (no AT&T coverage)

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Very instructive, it seems the CBSNews article was greatly exaggerated... Probably along with the "information" that all carriers were being routed through a single fiber with no redundancy.

Wasn't it Thomas Jefferson that said the advertising was the most truthful part of a newspaper? :)

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Fake news.  Better known as click bait.

You click on the article to read it and the advertisers pay by the number of people going to that article.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom