Who to believe on payload??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgawarecki

I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I could pull a fifth wheel.  I'm seeing conflicting information on what my truck's payload is.  When I look at the sticker on the door post, it tells me I should never exceed 1550 lbs for combined weight of occupants and cargo.  I found a GM site (http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/Silverado-May-5/0505-silv-specs.html#crew) that says the payload for my truck is 1883 lbs.  And when using a VIN decoder (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=3GCUKREC9EG143454) I don't see payload, but it does say the front and rear gross axle weight rating is 3950 lbs/each.  As well, that site says I can pull a fifth wheel that weighs 9500 lbs with hitch weight of 2375 lbs.  The Chevy towing guide for my truck also states I could pull a 9500 lbs fifth wheel, though it doesn't mention payload.

What am I to believe?

My first choice would be the sticker on the door, because it was done for your specific truck. The owners manual was done for every truck in that line, and some are equipped differently, axles, engines, etc etc.

if you want the absolute, then contact the nearest dealer service dept with the VIN and tell them you need to know what you can safely carry/tow with that truck, they can look it up and tell you

No need to go any further than the payload sticker on the door....that's the gospel truth!  You can wish, hope, and dream of more CCC, but it is the number from the factory and the only number that is recognized as fact!

xrated is correct. The sticker is the gospel for your truck. And out of that 1883#, you must subtract evrything added to the truck since it's delivery from the factory. That Line-x job, those nice Weathertech floor mats, running boards, all the stuff in the glove compartment, console storage, under seat storage, wife's purse, etc. That stuff adds up quicker that you would think.

You shouldn't believe any of them. Go get your truck weighed instead. Comparing your trucks weight to its GVWR and axle capacities is the only true way to know what the numbers actually are.

Use this website to find a certified scale near you: https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

If there isn't a CAT scale near you, you can also go to landscaping supply yards, landfills, grain silo's, etc and ask if they can weigh your truck and give you separate axle weights.

kdbgoat said:
xrated is correct. The sticker is the gospel for your truck. And out of that 1883#, you must subtract evrything added to the truck since it's delivery from the factory. That Line-x job, those nice Weathertech floor mats, running boards, all the stuff in the glove compartment, console storage, under seat storage, wife's purse, etc. That stuff adds up quicker that you would think.

You mean 1550 lbs....that's his door sticker weight.

And... that would be 1550 lbs. according to the sticker as stated in the OP original post and not the 1883 lbs that was pulled from a media site.

xrated said:
You mean 1550 lbs....that's his door sticker weight.

Alfa38User said:
And... that would be 1550 lbs. according to the sticker as stated in the OP original post and not the 1883 lbs that was pulled from a media site.

That's correct. Thanks for catching that guys! :-[

Amen - the sticker is gospel. It is for that specific truck, as built. Brochures and such give you estimates for a typical configuration of that model, but the exact numbers cannot be determined until the truck is built, i.e. all options and features figured in. The manufacturers computer system can figure it from the build sheet, but no brochure can accurately deal with that level of complexity.

Note that the GM specs you cited state that as the Maximum Payload for the model. It does not claim that every truck built has that capability. The addition of options, e.g trim level or heavy duty cooling, can make a substantial difference.

Ok, well it's seems pretty unanimous here.  Thanks everyone!  I'd love to be able to pull a little fifth wheel, but I would want to do it safely without voiding any warranties/insurance coverage/etc...  Looks like I'll have to wait until I can upgrade my truck.  We'll just keep enjoying our current TT.

If you have a Crew Cab 1500, it is probably light on payload and also short on bed length.  Crew cab 1500's typically have only 5.5 ft beds and that doesn't leave much cab clearance space for a 5W hitch.

I used to have a 1500 Silverado 2013 with tow package, no way it could handle a FW.  The sticker is what it is able to handle not what a brochure or the salesperson says.

tgawarecki said:
Ok, well it's seems pretty unanimous here.  Thanks everyone!  I'd love to be able to pull a little fifth wheel, but I would want to do it safely without voiding any warranties/insurance coverage/etc...  Looks like I'll have to wait until I can upgrade my truck.  We'll just keep enjoying our current TT.

You have received good and accurate information, however typically when many think of 5th wheels they think large.  There are however a couple small 5th wheels that may work for you this is one http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-deluxe-trailers/19-deluxe-trailer-layout-a.html#!20160219_102654_clipped_rev_1_751.  Also if I recall correctly, Escape also makes a small 5th wheel.

My toyota tundra is rated to pull 10400 lbs. I can tell you from pulling my approx. 8000 lb boat and trailer for short distances that I wouldnt want to pull 10000 lbs very far at all. It might do it, but how long is the truck and tranny going to last pulling maximum weight. I would be looking for a trailer in the range of three quarters of towing capacity if you plan on going long distance. If you want bigger, I would look at getting a bigger truck. Big hills are very scary towing maximum.

I agree, mine is rated for 8600 but I have 7000 behind it now and it is all it can do to pull it. Handles fine but no way would I travel in a strong wind. It was blowing 35 the other day and it was pretty stable at 55 but 60 started feeling a little spooky. If it would have blown any harder or we had to go more than another couple miles I would have stopped for safety's sake.

muskoka guy said:
My toyota tundra is rated to pull 10400 lbs. I can tell you from pulling my approx. 8000 lb boat and trailer for short distances that I wouldnt want to pull 10000 lbs very far at all. It might do it, but how long is the truck and tranny going to last pulling maximum weight. I would be looking for a trailer in the range of three quarters of towing capacity if you plan on going long distance. If you want bigger, I would look at getting a bigger truck. Big hills are very scary towing maximum.
Your Toy can't pull 10,400 lb as equipped stop bragging...LOL  That's for a regular cab base 2wd truck no payload. I'm sure you don't have.

Yes...your 1/2 ton isnt rated for 5th wheels..no matter what anyone says. I have 3602 ccc for my 1 ton and I don't think its alot.

OutdoorFT said:
Yes...your 1/2 ton isnt rated for 5th wheels..no matter what anyone says. I have 3602 ccc for my 1 ton and I don't think its alot.

Incorrect.  The Scamp I linked to above has an approximate dry weight of 3900 pounds and a hitch weight of 400 pounds, so in real life use probably translates to approximately 5000 pounds with a hitch weight of 800 to 1000 pounds.  These weights are within the capability of a half ton truck.

Back
Top Bottom