City water fill valve internal leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I noticed after we started our current trip that the water pump started cycling on for about 1/2 second every 2-3 minutes. There are no apparent external leaks so although the pump is only 11 months old I figured perhaps it was leaking internally.

Symptom two: I noted a couple of times that after I filled the water tank, once the normal post-fill heavier overflow subsided the overflow continued to dribble water for an extended period. I've heard others discuss siphoning which can occur but I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening here - for one the flow just isn't enough to indicate a siphon. I have noted this symptom when hooked up to city water.

I'm now thinking the two symptoms are related and rather than the water pump leaking internally it's the city water fill valve. When hooked up to city water it "leaks" water into the tank very, very slowly, causing the dribble overflow. When using the pump it draws from the tank then dribbles a little back in. No overflow but occasional pump cycling. Reasonable hypothesis? Has anyone had this happen?

At first glance it looks like getting to the valve isn't going to be easy

I had that happen to  my previous coach. It was just as you described.  I was able to take the stem from the valve from the front. I replaced an o-ring with one from an assortment I had on hand. I took about 15 minutes for the whole thing.

ChasA said:
I had that happen to  my previous coach. It was just as you described.  I was able to take the stem from the valve from the front. I replaced an o-ring with one from an assortment I had on hand. I took about 15 minutes for the whole thing.

Well that's encouraging, will have a look when we get back. Not going to attempt it on the trip as it's not critical (and the damage I could do could exceed the existing problem  ::) )

I am going to assume you have a Kantleak water station. I just had to replace the cartridge in my 2016 Thor Outlaw. there are o-rings on the valve and I am assuming one has split or come apart thats what happened to mine.  On City water it would still fill my Water tank. Anyways its a simple fix for the most part you can buy the replacement cartridge 200RV-RK at http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page188.html and there is a short video on how to replace it on  Andersons site at the bottom of the page http://andersonbrass.com/rv_4_function_fill_station.php if this is the system you have. I couldnt get the new cartridge to go all the way back, i think it has a shoulder it sets on when pushed all the way in .... so I ended up taking the o-ring off the new valve and put it on the old valve as I could get it to go all the way back in. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom