tv coax replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 5th wheel with 3 tv sets. The tv reception went to pot.  I found that the coax between the power supply and the antenna does not deliver the voltage to the antenna. It used to work fine. Replacing the cable is a daunting task as it goes through the enclosed belly of the camper into the basement behind a panel, then up an outside wall to the roof antenna.  The tv works fine on cable when I can get it. Is there any way to track down the fault in the coax? If not, I would appreciate advice or tips on replacing the coax.

The cable ends are the best bet. Try removing and reattaching the connectors.  The voltage may actually travel through the shielding rather than the core wire, but I'm not sure how Winegard (etc) does it. And the problem may simply be the antenna connection and not voltage-specific. I've had corrosion at the coax-to-antenna connection in a previous rig.

I agree with Gary. The only part of the cable that is likely to go bad is where is is exposed to the weather. I had 2 cables to my roof antenna  and the installer used a non-UV cable for one of them. It went bad after 4 years, but you could see the cable where the cable was cracked. I bet if you replace the fittings you'll be good.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The voltage may actually travel through the shielding rather than the core wire, but I'm not sure how Winegard (etc) does it.
Actually center conductor and shield are used. Center conductor provides +12VDC and the shield provides the DC return path.
Most likely culprit is cable end at antenna. If sufficient slake, trim back a couple inches and install a new connector.

YOu might be surprised.. Turns out that on most RV's that is not a single cable but TWO cables with a connector joining them.. Just at the ROOF LINE  may stick up through the roof in a puddle of Divcor caulk, or it may be under a clamshell cover (mine is)

I have seen the problem you have twice, once on my RV, once on a friend's TERRY... And that connectgor, and the cable ends attached in my case.. WAS THE PROBLEM both times.  I replaced mine, let a dealer do theirs (I don't dig into things as a rule epically the roof a removable panel yes. but somethig that needs to be CUT, no).

Thanks for the tips on what the problem could be.  I replaced the antenna end of the coax even though the old one was clean and bright.  That did not help so I cleaned out the basement and removed the panels that hide the water heater, furnace and confusion of loose wiring.  After locating the coax which is white compared to the cable tv coax which is orange, I found a connection inline that had a connector that the coax had slipped out of a fraction of an inch. These connectors seem to be a friction lock type that are not crimped. The problem has been fixed at low cost if you don't count the labor.

Attachments

• rv coax coupling.jpg
    rv coax coupling.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 14
Well they do make connectors like that, And Crimp-ons both of which come off in a hard sneeze,

And good solid COMPRESSION fittings that you can't take off without major effort or power tools.. That is what I replace 'em with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom