Roof Air keeps tripping the circuit breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg E.

HI everyone,
My wife and I just recently purchased a 2014 Winnie 27N from a private owner with 15000 miles. Unit is like new although we are having problems with the Roof Air conditioner.On real hot days, it runs for about 10 minutes then trips the circuit breaker at the foot of the bed console. We noticed on a cooler day it ran about 1/2 hour then tripped again. I took off the cover to the unit on the roof and there was no filter near the coils. Could it be the coils need to be blown off with high pressure air hose ? HELP.
I have also noticed that the engine,Triton V10, is lunging or surging going up hills in the lower gears. About every second or so the rpm's jump 200 or so then back and forth. Could it be bad gas and a new fuel filter is needed?
We are new at rving since the pop up 20 years ago so we are not familiar with this unit. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Greg E.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Hi Greg,

The A/C problem sounds like either a bad run capacitor (on the roof air) or the circuit breaker in your Winnie's load center.

Please start a new topic about the engine issue in the Motorhome board or General Discussion board.

If we were to know what brand and size the AC is will help.

Also what size is the circuit breaker?

I assume this is when on shore power.

What is the voltage when the AC is running?

Yes this is on shore power. I'm not that knowledgeable about the other things you asked about. The unit is not stored at my home, so I will look this weekend. Thanks for your response.

Then it sounds like you are going to need some technical assistance. An AC tech can use a clamp-on ammeter to see how much current the roof air is drawing - if too much then the run capacitor could be bad (or maybe something else in the roof unit itself). If the current is nominal, then the breaker in your load center is suspect (assuming shore power is at/about 110-120v.)

Thanks John,
This weekend we tried to run it off the battery and the generator. Ran for two hours like this and came up to temp. set on the thermostat. Then we tried it while shutting off the generator. The air unit shut off as soon as I shut off the generator. I restarted the generator and the air unit started back up. I think you are right that the unit is drawing too much current. I did notice some Styrofoam up inside on the coils from the surrounding pieces of Styrofoam in the unit. I will try to get a vacuum nozzle up into that area and clean the coils. Hopefully, this will increase the air flow and stop drawing so much current.

Put a volt meter into a wall socket of the motorhome and check the input 120 volt a/c voltage when it is under start-up load form the air conditioner,  if it goes down to 106 volts and lower it causes the amperage to go way up often tripping the breakers.

because of line loss and summer time lower grid voltage,  you may not be getting enough shore power current.

do the same test while on generator power and compare the difference in voltage drop.

Thanks. I will check it. That may explain the shore power, but shouldn't the air cond. run off the battery too?

......but shouldn't the air cond. run off the battery too?

No!!! The batteries (and converters) produce 12V DC power, the air conditioners require 120V AC power from either the plugged in shore power or a generator.

I think we found the problem. A relative was visiting who camped for many years and he felt the extension cord I was using at the house was not large enough. We replaced it with one that was larger and the air ran fine. He suggested to have a 30 amp rated cord if I needed to use one and I will have one made for future needs. Being a newbee, everything is new!! Makes you feel silly when you are shown something like this.

Greg

Greg E. said:
I think we found the problem. A relative was visiting who camped for many years and he felt the extension cord I was using at the house was not large enough. We replaced it with one that was larger and the air ran fine. He suggested to have a 30 amp rated cord if I needed to use one and I will have one made for future needs. Being a newbee, everything is new!! Makes you feel silly when you are shown something like this.

Greg

Just buy an extension cord made with 10 guage or at a minimum 12 gauge wire. Probably cheaper than making one.

Greg E. said:
I think we found the problem. A relative was visiting who camped for many years and he felt the extension cord I was using at the house was not large enough. ..
And TonyDtorch wins the prize for calling this one! Glad you chased the problem down. I would just buy a 30 amp RV cable and use an adapter as required. I always carry one because some special event rallies will set up a portable generator (or whatever) and have a limited number of power pedestals.

John Hilley said:
Just buy an extension cord made with 10 guage or at a minimum 12 gauge wire. Probably cheaper than making one.

X2  I was able to find a 10 gauge extension cord at Lowes a few years ago.  It is a little heavy but takes care of the voltage drop problem.

Back
Top Bottom