Central Florida to Shenandoah National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TandScantwait

We want to take our new class A from Orlando to Shenandoah National Park. We want to do canyons and hiking to waterfalls. We would like to stop at least one night and possibly two on the way there and then stay for 3-4 days and head back. I would like recommendations for where to stop on the way and what parts of the park to make sure we don't miss. Thanks!

As one who lives in the NC mountains and is familiar with the park and SkyLine Drive, I think you would have a lot better opportunity in the Blue Ridge parkway national Park and hike into Linville Gorge  and check out Linville Falls. There are several other water falls along the parkway that you hike into also.

jack L

We've made that run a couple of times from N Fla, but your route will depend more on what you want to do on the way and how long you want to go in a day (both time and distance).  We like to go up 301 to I 10, and then over to Jacksonville to pick up I 95 north. We pick up I 26 in S Carolina and then run west to Columbia. From there we take I 77 north through N Carolina into Va. Then I 81 on east through Va to the Charlottesville area. You can stay on 81 north from there or pick up Skyline Drive. We like that route because we like to visit the Yadikin Valley region of NC. We have stopped overnight in a small private campground (Swee****er Lake) off 26 just west of Orangeburg and also at Little Cedar Creek about halfway between Columbia and Charlotte on 77. Both are fine for overnights. We enjoy staying at Stone Mt State Park in N Carolina but it's not exactly on 77. Mayberry campground is closer to 77 and is convenient to Mt Airey just below the Va border. We camped at the Luray Va KOA last year and it was very convenient to Skyline drive.  You could also run I 95 to Richmond and then over but I haven't done it and can't comment.

Being from South Central PA originally, we've made that run many times. In fact, we just came back from a trip to Roanoke for an excursion ride behind N&W Class J 611 last month.
Our route has evolved over time. Currently, starting out from Clermont we take the Turnpike to I-75, then hop over to US 301 just North of Ocala. (I can't decide which I hate more, I-75 or I-95)
We stay with 301 to Callahan, then FL-200 to I-95 near Yulee. This bypasses Jacksonville entirely and is a very pleasant drive.
Then it's I-95 to I-26 to Columbia SC and I-77 to I-81.
The climb to Fancy Gap on I-77 is long and steep, but what views!

One of these times I'm going to stay with US 301 all the way to I-26. Interstates are a necessary evil for me.

Attachments

• 20170528_153937000_iOS_Momenta.jpg
    20170528_153937000_iOS_Momenta.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom