Mattresses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Hughes

Hi i have a Salem 27dbud travel trailer and id like to get thicker, better mattresses for the queen bed and both bunks, any suggestions?

My wife ordered a 10 inch foam mattress (queen) on Amazon for our TT. It's really comfortable.

Mattress Insiders.com is great. They have an excellent selection, detailed info on each mattress to aid in picking the right one and customer service is very good.

Just check on the mattress' length as virtually all at shorter than a normal house mattress.  We bought our quenn short from a ma & pa operation in Yuma the year we wintered there, it was a memory foam one that we loved.

Ed

We got ours in Frys. It is a Beautyrest and we love it. Was on offer so we got a great price.

We removed the end board that has hinges and got a larger piece cuf to size in Home Depot then screwed hinges back on so we have full queen. Bit less space to walk round at.end of bed but much better having extra length.

Camping World has good foam mattress.  Just bought one for my Motorhome, very comfortable.

Start by measuring the actual size. As Scotty noted, RVs often have oddball mattress sizes, the infamous "camper queen" which may be shorter, or narrower, or sometimes even a corner cut.

Once you have the dimensions, just shop for a mattress type you like. Lots of options for type (memory foam, air, inner-spring, latex, etc.), thickness, firmness, etc.  This article may help: https://www.allaboutbedroom.com/mattress-type-comparison/

The kind I like is probably different than what you like, so a recommendation from someone else is unlikely to be helpful. Go to local stores and try some out to see what suits you. Then start shopping for price because mattresses are often heavily discounted and special sales prices are a normal mode of business.

Among others, check out:
amazon.com
https://www.replacement-mattress.com/products-page/rv-mattress/
https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html

In addition to what Gary has said, one consideration is to determine the ease to get a mattress in and out of your rig.  Some rigs can be so tight because of space and/or layout it can be difficult.  In such a case ordering a mattress on line is a huge benefit because they are shipped rolled up into an easy to manage package, then once in place you can open the packaging and let it flatten out.  Just a thought which may or may not apply to you.

As pointed out, since a mattress comfort is a personal thing other peoples recommendation may not apply to you.  One of the things I like about Mattressinsiders.com is they have great descriptions of each mattress they sell and are also rated for level of firmness/softness which is really helpful to zero in on a mattress.  They also have a good return policy.  There are as others have pointed out other online sources as well and then of course there are your local mattress retailers where you can try them out, but if your rig needs an "RV sized mattress" as opposed to standard sized mattresses this option likely won't help.

Amazon has an 8" memory foam queen mattress by Lucid for $144.

I just put one in our camper, we have our first trip this weekend. I've already spent a lot of time out there on it. I wasn't really too concerned with liking it as we have a memory foam on our bed in the house.

This memory foam is a full queen, but you can take the cover off, split the sewn on cover at the seam, cut it off with an electric carving knife, hand sew the cover, zip the removeable washable one back on and you're good to go.

or, you can order a 'queen short' mattress from one of the suppliers for at least double what I paid for this one  :)

Gizmo I was not asking for a recommendation.  I was just wondering if anyone has one that is not memory foam because All i see on the internet are foam ones.  Can you buy spring ones or do you have to have them custom made?

Peggyy said:
Gizmo I was not asking for a recommendation.  I was just wondering if anyone has one that is not memory foam because All i see on the internet are foam ones.  Can you buy spring ones or do you have to have them custom made?
Yes, Denver Mattress Co. You can order in any size including RV short Q/K. Ours has been a Pillow Top Madison to match our SB mattress for about 7 years. Oh, sold at the Room Store.

Here's a site that shows differences in quality of mattresses.

http://www.us-mattress.com/comparison-charts.html

I bought Classic Brands mattress after reading some reviews on the Internet including this post (https://outdoorfact.com/best-RV-mattress-short-queen). Once we took it out of the box, it didn?t take anywhere near 24 hours to expand. Very comfortable, great mattress for the price. No chemical smell whatsoever. The only thing that I would say is that the edges of the mattress took a bit longer to expand and two sides are not as nicely expanded as the others. We bought it for a guest room and I slept on it for a few nights with no issues. Not sure how it would hold up with constant use over time. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase and would recommend this mattress to anyone looking for an inexpensive memory foam mattress. This short queen mattress will be perfect for my RV too. Will buy one more.

I ended up buying a memory foam mattress from amazon. It took a month for odor to go away, but we love themattress.  I only paid $182 for it on sale. It is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom