New to permanent site, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sperkinsrn

Hello, I'm new to having a permanent site on NC coast. I have a new Cherokee BH TT and will be putting it on site next week. I plan on using it year round but mostly on weekends. I know I will need anchors, blocks, skirting, and some type of surge protector. I am appreciative of any advice.

What type surge protector?
How many block supports, (I'm around 35 feet I think)?
How many hurricane anchors (I'm not beachfront, on the waterway)?
Should I insulate under the belly of the TT or inside vinyl skirting, or skip it?
How do I keep the water hose from faucet to camper from freezing?
In sub freezing temps do I leave heat on low when not there, or do I winterize?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the Forum!  By coming here, you will get great advise on how to avoid many headaches!

Favorite surge protector is Progressive Industries permanently mounted in line model  EMS HW 50C for 50 amp service.  Available on Amazon, E Trailer or your favorite RV dealer.

If you plan year round use, everything you can do might keep you from freezing!  Underbelly insulation and skirting are both good ideas.

I would never leave my water supply hose turned ON if I was not at the camper, any time of year.  Cheap preventive insurance.  I would disconnect the hose from both ends if freezing weather was expected.

The blow down method of winterizing is relatively quick, easy and cheap!  I would do this regardless of leaving heat on.  Again, what if...heat goes off.  Propane heat can get pretty expensive!  An electric heater or two may serve you better.

You did not ask, but BEWARE THE DREADED POO PILE!!  If you do not know what I mean, please ask!

One more suggestion: For the sewer line, replace the usual slinky with a 3" plastic sewer pipe. Rubber fittings to hook up to the trailer connections are readily available at any plumbing retailer.

You can get heat tape for the hose line or simply find a heated potable water hose. (Typical garden hoses should not be used!!!) Turning off the water while not on site for any length of time is a good idea, along with disconnecting the hose completely when freezing is expected.

I use 4 sets of cement building blocks under my 40' LOA 5th wheel and 4 steel tape tie downs to the cement pad. (Yes, we are very much in "potential hurricane"  territory but are not subject to freezing conditions. The steel tapes and tie down fittings are identical to those used on mobile homes.)

Further to what Gordon said above, you may be tied down etc. but you still have to treat those waste tanks as anyone that is towing would do... Leave the black tank closed until at least 2/3 full, then dump and flush. We leave the gray tanks open at all times while on site.

Thank you both for the great info. Really do appreciate it as I am relatively new to RVing and brand new to perm site. Duh, didn't even think about it but of course water in hose should be disconnected when not being used. I'll definitely check into the heated hose or heat tape when I am there if below freezing. Just to be sure I understand, would the tie down straps go over the camper or attach to the frame? Hate to ask, but tell me about the poo pile. I may have experienced it but am humble enough to ask.

One other note:  you may not be on the beach, but do not plan on your trailer surviving a hurricane, regardless of how many tie-downs you have. Even a not-so-near miss has plenty of potential to blow a travel trailer into the next county. Also, if you are on a waterway, you can expect flooding from the associated rain. Your choices would be to haul it further inland away from the storm, or just sit tight at home until the storm passes and have your insurance agent's phone number handy.

sperkinsrn said:
Hate to ask, but tell me about the poo pile. I may have experienced it but am humble enough to ask.

The poo pyramid is when you don't use enough water to flush and if you leave the black water drain valve open all the time. That's the biggest problem. If you leave the drain valve open, all the liquids will drain out leaving poo. It just keeps building up to form a pyramid. When it get's to that point, it can be a real pain to break it up.  Leave the drain valve shut until the tank is at least 2/3 full, then dump it. It will give the tank a good flush.
You can leave your gray tank drain valves open but a day or two before you plan on dumping the black tank, shut your gray valves and let the tanks fill. After you dump the black tank, use the gray water to flush out your sewer line.  Another good thing to do is after you dump the black tank, add about 5 gallons of water to the tank. This will help to start the dissolving process sooner.  Happy Dumping!! ;D :D ;)

Again, many thanks. I just checked on my flood/ hurricane coverage and I'm good there. Experienced the not enough water with flush poo issue. lesson learned. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom