Kwikee step removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csshafer

An elderly friend of mine has a 2004 HR Admiral SE gasser and had a dealer change out the Kwikee 2 step version for a 3 step one for his elderly wife.  I am attempting to change back to the 2 step for curb clearance but several of the mounting bolts turn when I attempt to loosen the mounting nuts.  The bolts are not accessible from the underside and I have no way to keep the bolts from turning.  Any ideas?  I've tried everything I can think of short of an impact wrench.  TIA

Two suggestions... First one is the one I SHOULD have tried first:

I just replaced my steps. had that same problem..  of the 4 mounting bolts once I got the load off them the nuts were loose.

So the suggestion is to get your friend JACK and have him hold the steps up  position Jack so he lifts near the center of the mounting plate (he can lift just one end) buit NOT pressing on the motor, controller or transmission or linkage.. THen try to take nuts off with fingers.

What I did

Access the bolt head, center punch and then using a tapered drill (Harbor freight smooth taper not stepped)

DRill into the bolt, Eventually enough of the head came off I was able to drive it down.

Then to re-mound I replaced the washers they used with 12" Mending bars.. as follows

The two bolts in what I call the REAR were under the 2nd step. So I switched to hex head bolts there, and drilled the 2nd hole in the mending bar out a bit so the bolt could ass (Same taper bit).

The two front ones.. I think that would have worked as well because they are far enough off to the side I'd not likely step on them but I used carrage bolts anyway.. Again I used the 12" mending bars, 2nd hole, but this time I "Squared" it a bit so it holds the shoulder on the carraige bolt.

OH. side benefit.. Those 12" bars give steps a ton more support than the old washer did.

Again Jack held the steps up while I put the nuts on and tightened them down.

Jack's full name in my case is "harbor frighte 12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack.

Though I did not use air, and I( think my smaller bottle would have done the job (12 ton is a bit of overkill)

But it sure worked nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom