So I need new Ball Joints..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I need some input from the 4 by wizards.  The Rubi has 74K on the clock, and another 100K being pulled behind 3, soon to be 4 different motor homes. I noticed that steering wheel was off center by just a few inches, and had been perfectly centered  for the last 9 years.  I took it to a shop and they immediately diagnosed it as the upper ball joints being shot.  He showed me the slack in them while the Jeep was up in the air on the rack. 

I didn't have time to get it done at that shop, as we were leaving the next day. I must throw in here that the Jeep still drives great and doesn't pull or wobble. The shop recommended only using Moog Ball Joints, saying that they were much superior to others.  I still have the OE ball joints in it, and they have went about 170K miles, so they can't be too bad. 

I plan on getting them done when I get back to Mississippi in a week.  I also noted while researching them that Moog makes a few different kinds of ball joints. Some are solid, and other have a few degrees of adjustability built in, which cost much more.  Other than a set of leveling coils I put on when the Jeep was new to compensate for the weight of the bumper and winch, it is completely stock other than some adjustable Rancho Shocks.  So are the adjustable ball joints necessary, or are the unadjustable ones appropriate for my application? 

What do you think guys?

Marty, good all around choice would be to replace all joints with Synergy Ball Joints. Much better than the OEM joints.

The only reason that I know of for adjustable ball joints would be for alignment purposes.  If your suspension is adjustable then I do not see the need for adjustable ball joints.
If it were me and the original ones were not adjustable I wouldn't change anything.

I've always used Moog for suspension (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.)  Non-adjustable for your application is what I would recommend if your jeep doesn't have a major lift kit.
I have a 1976 Jeep CJ5 currently..not lifted, moog ball joints (upper & lower). Well over 100K on the joints and still tight.
Reggie

Marty, I have two shops and we do a lot of front end work and use moot for most applications and never had a problem.

Bill

Sorry Marty, fat fingers small keyboard it is Moog and if you get up to Maine let me know would love to see your new coach.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom