New rv owner electric trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsdandy

Hi all
Im new to the RV world.  Bought a 2001 pace arrow 36b and have lots of questions
Big problem now is 120 volt lights on ceiling of slideout above couch not working no power at wires in fixtures.  Where does the power wire come into the slideout at  cant trace it
Most everything else seems to work so far all outlets and such
Thanks 

jimsdandy said:
Hi all
Im new to the RV world.  Bought a 2001 pace arrow 36b and have lots of questions
Big problem now is 120 volt lights on ceiling of slideout above couch not working no power at wires in fixtures.  Where does the power wire come into the slideout at  cant trace it
Most everything else seems to work so far all outlets and such
Thanks
Are you sure the lights are 110 Volt AC. Most RV lights are 12 Volt DC. I did have one RV that had one light that was 110 Volt AC. That one, the wiring was under the RV floor. Had to drop the belly to get to it. On the RV I have now, the wiring is under the slide out.

Rene T said:
Are you sure the lights are 110 Volt AC. Most RV lights are 12 Volt DC.

There are (were) RVs built that have lots of 120V lighting; I know because we own one.  It's not common, but it's a very nice feature because we have far more available light than is possible in most RVs we have seen.

Any, if the OP has 120V lighting in his slideout the chances are that it comes in through the basement.  That's how mine is wired.  But I'm concerned that you said that the outlets are working.  If the outlets in the slide are working but the lighting is not that might indicate a different problem since I doubt there's more than one cable feeding power into it.

Did you check all your fuses and circuit breakers?

Did they ever work or just stop working recently?

I agree with Rene that most likely they are 12Volt - did you check the voltage set for DC and not AC?

Think simple first!  is the fixture broken?  Are you sure of the voltage?  Before ripping the RV apart take the time to look at the easy solutions.

I keep learning that same lesson because I always fear the worst when usually it is simple.

For what it's worth, we have a 2001 Southwind  35R which should be pretty similar to yours.  In the front slide, I have one dual lamp light under the cabinets above the couch and 2 double lights with the bell shaped globes, one over the table and one over the couch ... all are DC.  The only 120 lights are above the escape window and desk in the bedroom, left side.

If you haven't, try a new bulb, might be as simple as all are burnt out.

Howard

I have a 2004 Fleetwood, and often the 12v power supply that supplies electricity to the lights over my dinette short out when I'm moving the slide  in or out.  If I remember before moving the slide,  I remove the 20 amp fuse.  So far I haven't been able to find where it shorts out.  Any hints?

Back
Top Bottom