Leaking Water Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

I have a puddle of coolant on the ground under the motor section of my MH.

It's leaking a drip about once every 3 or 4 seconds.  Right behind where I think the water pump is with the numbers 3286293.
The engine hasn't been run since last Saturday night.

Has anyone changed out a water pump on a Cummins 8.3L?

IF so where did you get it?  How Much?  Did it solve your problem?

Attachments

• Leaking .jpg
    Leaking .jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 65
I would call the local Cummins store and see if they have one and to get a price. You could also check some of the truck parts places like Freightliner.
Bill

Googled 'cummins isc water pump' and I see prices ranging from $65 (Ebay) -$110 (a dealer). Prices in a shop would be at the $110 end (or more), plus their labor, so DIY is the way to go if you can.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cummins+isc+water+pump&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Be careful of the shop you pick. I had a water pump replaced last year (ISB Diesel -rear radiator). The mechanic worked from the side and replaced it in about two hours. Since then I've heard two horror stories about cases where the shop removed the radiator to accomplish the the same job. Ten to 12 hours labor just to remove the radiator. May not be the case for you, but asking can't hurt (I'd examine the installation before hand) to discuss it.

Ernie

It looks like the OP got a nice pic of it. To me, it looks like a DIY job if one has a drain pan large enough to hold all the coolant.

Looking at the staining above the pump, are you sure the leak is at the pump?

UPDATE.

I found pumps for as low as $68 online. 

However they were surely after market pumps (and not close to me) so I spent almost $200 for a Cummins OEM part sealed in a box
at my local Cumming Service/Parts dealer.

I did the work myself and replace the serpentine belt while I was at it and kept the old one for a spare even though it had some cracks in it.

I ended up putting 3 gallons of new coolant in and reusing about 2.5 gallons that I saved when draining it.

Still need to do a test drive as it called for the first run to be with the radiator cap off and up to temp then add more coolant if needed.

Old pump was definitely bad and bearings were shot. 

Good job!
Now go buy a new belt to have as a spare. Why have one you didn't think was good enough to keep on to use in a emergency. ;)
Bill

I have a slow drip coming off the mount for my coolant filter on my ISC 330 cummins. I also have a leak on the engine block on the curb side where a coolant line goes through. I tried to tighten both to no avail. I need to get the rig 20 miles down the road for help. Can I drive it?

SandiISC?? said:
I have a slow drip coming off the mount for my coolant filter on my ISC 330 cummins. I also have a leak on the engine block on the curb side where a coolant line goes through. I tried to tighten both to no avail. I need to get the rig 20 miles down the road for help. Can I drive it?
I would top off the coolant and go for it. Just keep an eye on the temps and have a couple of gallons just in case.
Oh, welcome to the forum..

Back
Top Bottom