norcold 6162

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjlapp

Hello, I have a 1995 30ft Coachmen with a Norcold 6162 refer. When I try to run it on AC it pops the GFI on the RV bathroom. I have traced all the wiring looking for neutral /ground shorts and found nothing. I tested the heating element on the refer and found 38.5 ohms across the lines.
I measure 120 V at the attachment to the heater element on the power supply without the heater element attached, but as soon as I attach the heater element to the power supply, it trips the GFI. I tried wiring direct to my house voltage and it tripped the circuit breaker.

The resistance is 40 - 42 ohms. The repair guide says to "check the technical data section" for what the resistance should be and there is no technical data section in the manual.

Does anyone know what the resistance should be?................thanx much!

A GFCI is checking for current between the line (L1) and Neutral. If they are equal or balanced no problem. But... If they are not balanced that indicates some current is escaping  to a ground, and not to the neutral. The fridge elements often cause this problem because the outside shell is grounded through the mounting and the element may be touching it internally even just slightly. The easiest solution is to simply change the element for a new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom