2016 F150, 5.0 V8, 4wd, short bed 3.31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eagle 92

My wife and I are considering buying our first travel trailer. The GVWR of the truck is 7,000 lbs, GCWR is 14,300 lbs. The maximum loaded trailer weight is listed at 8900 lbs. The truck has the towing package with factory installed trailer brakes. What size or weight travel trailer should we buy? I have read that you add the GVWR of trailer and truck then subtract the hitch weight, if that is less than the GCWR then you are safe. I have been told by three or four dealers to stay under 6,000 lbs UVW and one or two dealers recommended staying around 5,000 lbs. We have shopped around a lot and really like the Forest River Surveyor 264RKS or 251RKS and the Jayco white hawk 27RBOK. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your towing guide will say to stay under 8900 gvwr on the trailer, you also don't want the hitch weight + cargo + passengers to exceed the gvwr of the truck.
uvw doesn't do much because you load stuff into the trailer before towing it.

Looking at the 3 TT's you listed they all have of a GVWR of around 7700lbs and are between 29' and 31'. This is pretty much the Max on weight as the you stated a 8900lb max trailer and the rule of thumb is not to exceed 85-90% of that number. As far as length you are also pushing the limit as that is a big unit. You didn't mention the make and model of your TV which may help others help determine what may be safe and practical. I wouldn't worry about the UVW but the GVWR as that is the realistic number.

If your GCWR is 14,300lbs and your truck's GVWR 7000lbs, max your trailer can weigh is 7300lbs (that is fully loaded with gear and everything).  Also your axle ratio is 3.31, which won't help.

I have read that you add the GVWR of trailer and truck then subtract the hitch weight, if that is less than the GCWR then you are safe.

Yes, that should keep you is safe territory. You probably don't want to be right at the GCWR, though. Working any vehicle at its max capability is not conducive to a long life and pleasant driving experience, especially if road conditions get poor (whether, traffic, etc).

Dealer people tend to quote dry weights (UVW), so may be doing so when they state 5000-6000 lbs. Those would be a typical dry weight for a trailer with a 7500-8000 lb GVWR.

The trailers you cited are all about the max size/weight you should ever consider with that truck.

Thanks for all of your responses. The cargo capacity for the 264RKS is 2655 pounds. Is it really possible to need that much stuff on a trip? If so then every trailer in that series is too heavy for a 1/2 ton truck except for the two smallest trailer and they have no door on the bedroom. What trailers do you own or have owned in the past that you would recommend.

martin2340 said:
You didn't mention the make and model of your TV which may help others help determine what may be safe and practical.

It's in the title of this post.  :eek: ::) ;D

You will be happy with a sub 6000lb GVWR TT...7000lbs is pushing it. (I have the same truck with a 3.73 and tow 7000lbs and wish I could get the same TT at 6000).

I have a 2015 F-150 FX4 SCrew cab with the 5.0 engine and 3.55 gears.  My 26'11" trailer weights 6180 lbs fully loaded for a 2 week trip.  My truck weighs 5,520 lbs with a full tank of gas and me.  My trailer GCVW is 7,000 lbs.  Empty it weighs about 5,200 lbs.  I don't have any trouble towing this setup.

I have a friend who has a similar 2016 F-150 and a Grand Design which is 4 feet longer than mine and 1,000 lbs. heavier and he struggles. 

I would recommend a GCVW of 7,000 lbs and less than 30' in overall length.  The advise about starting with a TT dry weight around 5,000 lbs. was good advise.

Yes, I have an Equal-i-zer 4 point weight distribution hitch.  It's the 1,000/10,000 lb. rating.  Works very well and I got it off Amazon.  Free shipping and no sales tax.  This thing is heavy so the free shipping is a big deal.  It was a little over $500.00 about 18 months ago.  Haven't priced them lately.  There are other good WD hitches out there, but my experience with Equal-i-zer has been good.

Back
Top Bottom