One week in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

Well, so I've successfully lived a full week in my fifth wheel.  Here's what I've learned so far...

You're not done spending money when you leave the dealer.  You'll add things, and depending on who you are and what you like, it might be a variety of things at vastly different prices.  Some things I purchased, a hard-wired progressive power monitor, vacuum, camp chair(s), storage bins to organize the basement, bedding, and depending on your personal situation towels, dinning stuff, kitchen stuff, etc...whatever might not be leaving your house with you. 

Similar to my day job, the saying "The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire" is very true.  When you're less than a half tank, don't pass up that nice roomy truck stop because you might just start up hill and burn more gas, and then get to a town that doesn't really have an accessible pump and your mileage to empty display just says "LOW"...not that I'm speaking from experience here or anything... ;)

Other than that, I've had an enjoyable time getting settled into my new home.  Now that I'm settled in, I'm getting out and seeing some stuff.  I started with 2 nights at a friends house where the RV was stored after picking it up from the dealer, then 3 nights at a local RV park, and now night 3 at Mt. Hood Village RV Resort in Oregon...nice place, but I'm finding I don't use much of the resort facilities...I'd rather go out into the forest and hike.

Oh, one question for the pros.  If you're buying diesel at a truck stop do you usually go through the auto side or the truck side?  One stop said autos/RVs, but I really wasn't confident maneuvering in there at this level of experience yet, so I went through the truck side.  I looked around and say a few RVs doing either...thoughts?  The only pain about the truck side is I needed to go inside to use my card, as the pumps were only set up to take fleet cards. 

Often the "truck side" will have only the larger commercial-duty (high speed) diesel nozzles. Don't know if your truck can accept those or not, but if it can, feel free to use whatever lanes are most comfortable for you. I always filled our diesel coach in the truck lanes, but it had a 150 gallon tank and the automotive-size pumps in the car lanes would be painfully slow.

Thanks Gary!  Truck seemed fine with the flow of those pumps, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Congratulations. It's good to be out there using it. The mountain looks fantastic right now. We were sightseeing in the Columbia Gorge yesterday. Have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom