new motorhome purchase help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acol552

I AM WEIGHING PROS AND CONS OF 2004 BEAVER MONTERAY LAGUN IV OVER NEW MODEL WINNEBAGO JOURNEY-DAMON TUSCANY-FLEETWOOD EXCURSION-ETC.  IN MY RESEARCH THE BEAVER BRAND LOOKS TO BE A QUALITY PRODUCT.  IN THE $150000 RANGE IS THE FEW YEARS AND FEW MILES A BIG CON FOR WHAT I PERCIEVE TO BE BETTER QUALITY.  OPINIONS AND ADVISE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN THIS BIG STEP FROM CLASS A GAS TO DIESEL PUSHER.  THANKS IN ADVANCE

acol552 said:
I AM WEIGHING PROS AND CONS OF 2004 BEAVER MONTERAY LAGUN IV OVER NEW MODEL WINNEBAGO JOURNEY-DAMON TUSCANY-FLEETWOOD EXCURSION-ETC.  IN MY RESEARCH THE BEAVER BRAND LOOKS TO BE A QUALITY PRODUCT.  IN THE $150000 RANGE IS THE FEW YEARS AND FEW MILES A BIG CON FOR WHAT I PERCIEVE TO BE BETTER QUALITY.  OPINIONS AND ADVISE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN THIS BIG STEP FROM CLASS A GAS TO DIESEL PUSHER.  THANKS IN ADVANCE

Howdy.
In the $150,000 price range, you could buy a pre-owned Blue Bird Wanderlodge. Very good quality, built like a tank(SAFE) and longevity. Plus a lot of the depreciation has already happened. We purchased a pre-owned 1993 Wandelodge  in 2004. This coach had 80,000 miles on the engine but that is nothing to a Detroit diesel that has a life span of 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles. Our coach survived a Class 3 hurricane with us in it. No problems. However the local weather people forecast that storm to be a Class 1. And we BELIEVED  them!!!  Oh yes, a very large limb(8 inches in diameter) fell onto the coach's roof. The only damage to the Wanderlodge was a cracked sideview mirror, some paint scratched and an AC cover was cracked slightly.
Good luck in your search.

Liz

THANK'S LIZ FOR YOUR COMMENTS, I HAVE LOOKED AT WONDERLODGES AND PREVOST AND APPRECIATE THE SUPERIOR QUALITY.  WE HAVE THREE TEENAGE GIRLS AND WILL APPRECIATE THE SPACE AFFORDED BY QUAD SLIDES ALOT MORE. HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU.
TONY

I know nothing about MHs, but using all caps is considered shouting.

The short answer is that the few years are not significant and the mileage probably is not either (but you didn't mention what the mileage actually is). $150k sounds a bit high for an 04 Monterrey, but if its a quad slide 40 footer, maybe not.

We generally recommend a used high end RV over a newer mid or low end model - you get a lot more for your money in most cases. I just bought one myself.

Thanks Gary,
The Monterey has 21000 miles with alot of upgrades.  The new ones have standard equip. and 50 horsepower less.

Monaco/Beaver has re-positioned the Beaver models so you can't really compare an 04 Monterrey to a new one. The Monterrey disappeared from the Beaver line up for a couple years and just came back in a new incarnation. Beavers in general, though, are excellent coaches and noted for their interiors and attention to details.

Does the 04 have the Roadmaster RR8 chassis? Or maybe even the RR10 (has a tag axle)?  That's an excellent chassis with outboard mounted airbags for good stability. For awhile Beavers were still built on the Magnum chassis that came to Monaco with the purchase of Beaver & Safari Corp, but I think by 2004 they were switched over to one of the Roadmaster chassis versions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom