Newbie saying Howdy and question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildbill1962

Howdy Everyone,  Looks like a great forum to be a part of. Looking forward to being a member.

My wife and I are just about to retire.."yahoo"  going to purchase our first travel trailer. Have been looking for awhile and so far in our price range, we have narrowed it down to these 2.  Hoping to get your opinions and wisdom before we go this weekend to possibly make a purchase.

1) 2017 Coleman Light 3035RL

2) 2017 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 336FKSA

Will be pulling with a 2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom !!!!!!

Bill

The things I look for in a travel trailer

1. Storage
2. 2nd AC - If you pull to Nevada, New Mexico or Arizona (Western States) you will need that unit.  I live in Vegas and we can hit temps over 100 easily daily.
3. LED light package as it uses less energy and I think they are brighter.
4. Rear living area.  I want to be able to look at my TV directly without having to turn my head. 
5. Heated/Enclosed underbelly - Helps in colder temperatures
6. Solid service counters.  Here in the heat if you have a laminate surface it will pop up over time due to the heat. 
7. Stand in the shower and turn and bend.  If you can't turn and bend, it isn't for you.
8. Power jack on the front along with stabilizers. 

These are just some of the things I looked for on a TT.  You need to think of what you need and would like to have that will work for you.  You are the only people that have to be satisfied with it. 

Bill, a couple of items that I personally prefer. 

No Table for dedicated eating space.  No Jack knife couch.  2 or more rocker recliners which I would purchase, I would not want the one that typically come in RVs.  Full bathroom.  No sitz shower,  corner shower full size, angle corner toilet, Corner vanity.
Here is our floor plan. 

We got rid of the dinette, and the couch, we installed two lazy boy recliners.  Note the rear bathroom arrangement.  Big enough for two adults (Jumbo size) to be in together.

Our chairs face the TV cabinet.  We live in this TT for 6 months at a time in the winter in Yuma AZ.  We have tons of storage,  I have added shelves in hanging closets as we do not have much hang up clothes.  The pantry is huge and holds all food stuffs and appliances.

Attachments

• Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 27
A good tip, since there are two of you try passing each other in the common area. Like if you were walking from the rear of the camper to the front and your wife the opposite. I have an island in my TT which I thought I would love, and I do, it's just if there's another person in the TT with me we can't both really walk past each other at the same time it gets a little clumsy lol. Just a thought.

Highly agree with getting in the shower and trying it out. If your elbows hit the sides when you touch your head while standing under the shower head I would say that's a no go. Camper shopping is super fun! Enjoy it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Why buy new??  New campers usually have several "issues" straight from the factory, and the dealers do not fix them until the new owner finds them and complains.  Then this shiny new camper may spend weeks or more back at the dealer for warranty repairs.

See this current thread:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,106358.0.html

Gently used campers are readily available, and should have these initial problems fixed.  This camper is ready to be enjoyed!
You can get a bigger / nicer camper for the same money buying used.
Many folks trade / sell their camper just a few years after purchase, thus so many late model gently used campers.  They want a bigger one;  Floor plan does not work;  did not like camping;  did not use as often as we thought we would;  trading up to a Class C.
If you DO want to trade, you will not get burned nearly as badly on the trade as you would on a new camper.

The most important thing on ANY camper is Floor Plan!  Love it or you will never really like the camper.

Enjoy the search!

A great big "THANK YOU"  to everyone for the great advice and words of wisdom. I go tomorrow and pick up the Starcraft Autumn Ridge 38ft TT.  So will prob be picking your brains alot  :D

It looks nice!  One other thing I look for that hasn't been mentioned is general access when the slides are in.  It's nice for a quick stop to be able to access the bathroom, fridge, and maybe the dinette.  Looks like the Starcraft will allow that.  Enjoy.

Old Blevins said:
It looks nice!  One other thing I look for that hasn't been mentioned is general access when the slides are in.  It's nice for a quick stop to be able to access the bathroom, fridge, and maybe the dinette.  Looks like the Starcraft will allow that.  Enjoy.

I would add - can you get to the bed for a nap without pushing out a slider.

Thats a nice tow vehicle! With TTs, youll have plebty of good options. As for yours, they may be good for you..or maybe not. Look for a layout that you love. names and years are irrelevant.

Have you considered used? The main issues when buying new will be taken care of.

wildbill1962 said:
A great big "THANK YOU"  to everyone for the great advice and words of wisdom. I go tomorrow and pick up the Starcraft Autumn Ridge 38ft TT.  So will prob be picking your brains alot  :D

good for you, post us up some pictures please!

Since you got some good advice, but none that really answered your questions, both of these name brands are pretty well known, so I would imagine that it came down to which one you just liked better over all. I'm starting to read more and more good things about the starcrafts and I think you made a good choice

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom