Best Battery Option for a Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose33

Hello everyone. I have a Keystone Passport TT and the battery is shot. I wanted to run it by you all first go see which battery may be the best option for my situation.
We probably use our camper about once per month and always camp where we can hook into 30amp shore power. When we are not camping, the trailer is in storage and not hooked into power. My TT has only one battery and the bad one is an Exide Stowaway Deep Cycle 24MDCST with 500 MCA/140MRC/80Ah. Just wasn't sure if replacing with this same type of battery would be good or going with a Marine battery that is not a deep cycle. Thanks in advance.

Your present battery is a combination marine/deep cycle, and a true deep cycle battery would be a better choice if you were going to camp without plugging into shore power.  But since you aren't planning to do this, another marine/deep cycle battery like you have now would be the most economical choice. 

Having a battery on the trailer is legally required to power the breakaway switch that applies the trailer brakes if the trailer ever detaches from the tow vehicle ... providing power to run the lights, etc. when you're not plugged into shore power is secondary.

If you only use the trailer once a month, I suggest disconnecting the battery while the trailer is in storage to prevent parasitic current draws from draining the battery.  You can remove the wire(s) from the negative battery post, or get an inexpensive battery terminal disconnect to do the same thing.  Just be sure to reconnect the battery before starting your next trip.

Good advice from Lou.

I've written an article on RV Battery choices - it's in the RVForum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

If your Keystone was purchased in 2014, the battery isn't that old.  Do you check the fluid levels every few weeks?  When I have my trailer in storage, I take my batteries out and put them on a trickle charger. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Good advice from Lou.

I've written an article on RV Battery choices - it's in the RVForum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

I've actually read your article. Good read and Lou has said pretty much what I thought based on your article. I just wanted to get some other points of view. I also like his idea of a battery terminal disconnect. I've already ordered one. Thank you!

keith c said:
If your Keystone was purchased in 2014, the battery isn't that old.  Do you check the fluid levels every few weeks?  When I have my trailer in storage, I take my batteries out and put them on a trickle charger.

I had it tested by Walmart and they told me it was shot. Sounded right since it wouldn't hold any juice. I may look into a Battery Tender later on. Thanks!

Lou Schneider said:
Your present battery is a combination marine/deep cycle, and a true deep cycle battery would be a better choice if you were going to camp without plugging into shore power.  But since you aren't planning to do this, another marine/deep cycle battery like you have now would be the most economical choice. 

Having a battery on the trailer is legally required to power the breakaway switch that applies the trailer brakes if the trailer ever detaches from the tow vehicle ... providing power to run the lights, etc. when you're not plugged into shore power is secondary.

If you only use the trailer once a month, I suggest disconnecting the battery while the trailer is in storage to prevent parasitic current draws from draining the battery.  You can remove the wire(s) from the negative battery post, or get an inexpensive battery terminal disconnect to do the same thing.  Just be sure to reconnect the battery before starting your next trip.

Thanks for the help and pointers.

Three years of use is about all that can be expected of the typical Marine/RV battery that comes with many trailers. Even with good care. Some people only get one season from them.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Three years of use is about all that can be expected of the typical Marine/RV battery that comes with many trailers. Even with good care. Some people only get one season from them.

Yeah, I've also heard that hot weather can kill batteries a little quicker. Florida would definitely count in that scenario. I think I will just replace with what I had on there. Combination of a Marine/Deep Cycle. Thanks again everyone. Love this forum!

Back
Top Bottom